Samsung expert raw app

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Is anybody using this app?

What is it and raw, what's that?

Essentially raw are the images captured by your camera sensor without the correction by the camera software. This is essentially manual control giving you access to modify options rather than the automatic computer making those decisions for you. 

Automatic settings are great if you need instant results however if you need longer exposure and to control the shutter speed and how much light is let into the lens then you need a professional/advanced option.

With all of that out the way....

Samsung have released beta software of their camera software. It allows for 16-bit RAW files, lossless jpeg, x3 optical and x10 optical under  pro modes  and cones with profiles which are designed to suit the hm3 sensor of the s21 ultra.

Currently it only supports s21 ultra but I read that might be extended to other note, fold and other flagship models soon.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Available on my Pixel 4a - but not played with it, as the "AI" on the Pixel's camera software seems to make quite a good job of most of what I have thrown at it (or pointed it at ;))

The night-shot is pretty nifty, but despite the clear night 2 nights ago, not a single Geminid streak in a 3.5min exposure 🙄

Message 2 of 4

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think it needs a lot of work as it basically relies on lightroom and other software to make the best of it. The ability to use the telephoto lenses is great alas I have not had the opportunity to try anything far away yet. 

Also camera shake is really more obvious. Automatic settings give you a good idea of what settings might be ideal.

I have found that increasing the iso setting really creates a lot of colour noise in the dark which essentially you will need a proper editor to fix - more than the standard pro mode with 12-bit RAW capture.

Anyway enough geekery and expelliamus as they say in Harry Potter.

Message 3 of 4

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Bit of an update on this app which is coming soon officially. The current build is. 1.0.21 and it introduces high efficency RAW format. Also images captured are multiframed stacks which when combined record more image data so essentially HDR.

The only problem I have is the ability to use different lens optics in lightroom other than the rear wide and main sensor when working with DNG files. 

Perhaps that is to do with lightroom...

Message 4 of 4