S8 battery usage stats not showing app usage

gazzawazza
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi all

Weird one.

O2 S8 (new not refurbished) - approx 1 year old.

Running latest available OTA Oreo (firmware G950FXXU3CRGH - August 2018 security patch)

Suddenly, my battery stats are NOT showing app usage. Has probably been like this for around 10 days. Only thing that happened around the same time was a new Google app update.

Don't believe it's that (as I don't reckon the Google app contains battery usage code - might do but doesn't strike me as its purpose. i.e. battery stats are OS level, i'd have thought).

Anyway, tried a cache partition wipe - no change

Did a factory reset - no change.

Guess that 'could' point to battery hardware issue but again not convinced. Just feels like it's a software issue.

OS battery usage stats DO show:

Screen

Device Idle

Cell Standby

Estimated battery life (in stats) seems about right.

NOTE: the factory reset definitely helped my battery life, which seemed to be depleting fairly fast or at least was poorer than my recollections).

I'm definitely using apps - have since installed Accubattery and there's not question that I'm using apps sufficiently (according to the mAh usage) to appear under the OS battery stats.

Am really surprised that the factory reset didn't help.

Will try O2 tech support but thought I'd ask all the closet gurus as well smiley

Finally, the OS battery stats of course used to work fine.

Questions:

- Any ideas?

- Was thinking about trying to reapply the first Oreo release (to effectively repatch whole OS, since subsequent Oreo releases, going on filesize, are incremental). Can I do this? Should i use smart switch or Kies? Any consequences to this (e.g. do i need to fiddle with bootloader, any implications for warranty)?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@gazzawazza I'd skip O2 support and go straight to Samsung: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@gazzawazza I'd skip O2 support and go straight to Samsung: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/

Thanks yeah - got nowhere, though guy did make some modest efforts to help me.

Customer service trasferred me to network team though, even when i said i didn't think it was a network issue.

Out of curiosity, do you know if i can force apply an earlier ROM onto my phone?

I suspect OTA updates are incremental patches. Was thinking about putting first Oreo release on handset, to effectively reinstall Oreo.

Cheers,

Gaz

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@gazzawazza Not sure if you can go back to an earlier ROM. Google would be the best place for you to search for that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@gazzawazza Not sure if you can go back to an earlier ROM. Google would be the best place for you to search for that.

ty. Looks like Odin is the tool to do this. Not clear if i can apply earlier ROM, though it appears there are 5 components typically to ROMs:

• CSC (Consumer Software Customization): It is specific to geographical region and carriers. It contains the software packages specific to that region, carrier branding and APN setting.
  • PIT (Partition Information Table): You only need it if you screw up your partition table or if the firmware specifically requires it because of a change in the partition table layout.
  • BL (Bootloader): As its name implies, this option is used to flash the Bootloader of the device.
  • AP (Application Processor or PDA): Android.
  • CP (Core Processor): We call it Modem.

source: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/176515/what-do-the-terms-bl-ap-cp-and-csc-mean-in-odin

If I flash all of them, i guess i should be ok. However, it might be that rolling back to an earlier boot loader blocks the ROM update (read that on a thread somewhere - boot loader 4.3 i think stops you going back to earlier BLs). If it's the same BL then i guess people would be ok.

Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you go backwards you will lose ota updates and
trip the Knox fuse.
A fresh install of the latest rom will reinstall the whole firmware anyway so it would be pointless going backwards.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6