cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 Rollback to 4.4.x KitKat?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For all the negative comments already post here and on other forums about  Lollipop on the S5 which I will not add to, I'm looking for a way to revert back to KK.

Does anyone know or can provide a link to downgrade the OS?

Also as this rolled out with o2's blessing and its having a negative impact on the phones performance and it's still in the warranty period, I'm wondering what the position is for o2 to correct the issue, I'm sure they have S5s in stock with KK on them still, can I exchange it?

Thanks in advance Confused

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this link. At first glance it appears to tell you how to in conjuction with Odin.

http://androidheadlines.com/2014/12/android-downgrade-galaxy-s5-5-0-lollipop-4-4-kitkat-sm-g900f-ver...

With regards to O2 giving you another one with KK on it, I don't fancy your chances. Unless the update has actually 'broken' you device, as apposed to just 'impaired the performance,' which they will no doubt say is subjective opinion. (Not that I'm disagreeing. cos i haven't got one)! slight_smile

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im fairly confident that you cannot downgrade the firmware unless you "root" your handset.

how long have you had the handset for?

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks PhillPark for the link slight_smile

Yeah, I doubt O2 would do anything either, altho an online guru advised me to go into a store where someone could fix my issues?!
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Redtitbit,

It didn't occur to me that it would probably need to be rooted to downgrade 😞
I got another 2 months before its out of warranty, I suppose that 2 months for a patch to come out to address some issues or as I'll have to root the phone anyways, I could see about customising lollipop or rolling back to KK
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks PhillPark for the link slight_smile

Yeah, I doubt O2 would do anything either, altho an online guru advised me to go into a store where someone could fix my issues?!

If you're issue is you think lollipop is cr@p the guru can't really help, and I doubt they will roll back your os either!

Are you going to attempt the process in the link? If yes please come back to let us know how you get on, and mark the post as a solution to make it easier for others to find. slight_smile

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally i would wait for the next update which would hopefully correct the known issues. *fingers crossed*

Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 125921 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

It really isn't an O2 issue. If you look on other forums there are  people on different networks who are having problems with Lollipop. (equally a lot of people like it)

Some installed it immediately it became available. A lot of members on here will wait until the bug fixes are rolled out....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125921 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

Just to add....from a personal perspective, rolling back to a previous firmware seems a long complicated process.  Unless I was absolutely sure of what I was doing....i wouldn't even attempt it.

(as I say...that is just me) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93978 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

The beauty of android is that you are able to do so though if it trips Knox your warranty is goosed. Apparently it's fairly straight forward so I'm going to get rid of the dreaded 4.3 on the S3 and go with KK.

Message 10 of 14