Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network lock

Bobbyt9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a Sony Xperia z5 that was on a pay monthly contract. On leaving O2 I found the phone was locked and I needed a code to unlock it. This was requested and arrived but unfortunately failed to unlock the phone. Today I was told because I tried the unlock code more than 3 times the phone is now locked and O2 nor Sony can help me unlock the phone but third party companies can. I don't like the idea of third party companies and I really do like my phone so what can I do. I have escalated the complaint but there apparently isn't a solution to unlock the phone via O2 or Sony

any ideas?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27611 Solutions
Unfortunately that is correct.
Once hard locked they are a real pain to remove the restrictions and we know that O2 will not / cannot help.
In all honesty, your best bet is a local phone repair shop. Ask around and find one with a good reputation.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6962 Solutions

Apparently there is some master code you need but getting it is a completely different problem.

@MI5@viridis....?

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked the sim lock counter, there are various ways of getting at it and it's shown in the next post. 

Google for methods of getting to it.

Once you have ascertained the sim lock counter is zero then O2 will no longer be able to help. If it isn't then they will.

The issue is that the network lock is part of the network specific ROM / firmware that shows network logo ect when you turn the phone on  - there are hundreds of these across the world and only one Sony.

Soo if the phone is Sim Network Unlock Frozen getting it unlocked depends on knowing what network it was once on or which subnetwork and entering one or more of the following  Network / NCK: Network lock. Provider / SPCK: Service Provider Lock Sub Provider / PCK: Provider lock (DE)FREEZE / MCK: Unfreeze code. Extra / RGCK: Region unlock code .....

Which as MI5 points out is something that might be solved by someone who is motivated by the entrepreneural spirit of dilligant work rewarded for cold hard cash... ie a reputable phone repair shop.

Or not as Viridis points out below, it depends what state it's in

You could always try flashing a custom ROM, but take care as you might brick it....

Or try an O2 mvno SIM which the phone might be fooled into thinking is O2 - Tesco, Giffgaff and Sky Mobile are the biggest  - all use the O2 network.  

Or stay with O2 

Or sell it locked and frozen to O2.

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

sony_counter_check.jpg

Message 5 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Counter will also read 0 if phone is unlocked which can be confirmed with a gap to the left of NETWORK instead of an X.
Master code just isn't an option outside warranty, it's rare as hens teeth to even find someone who has access to it, and then you'll need the equipment to flash inject it. In short, not happening.
It may be possible to get it unlocked at 3rd party using soft unlock options, however the method of doing this normally resets the lock on software updates... However, the Z5 isn't due for updates in the near future so this may in fact be a non issue.

To get the sim counter you type in dialler *#*#SERVICE#*#* and then service info, then sim lock

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would (just about) understand all of this if the whole process was designed to prevent the phone from being used if stolen or lost like the Apple ID / Activation Lock on the iPhone...

But all this hoop jumping is designed to stop you using your phone on someone else's network. It's like Shell getting into the car selling trade but stopping you from being able to buy petrol from anyone else.!! 

Message 7 of 14

Bobbyt9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you

Message 8 of 14

Bobbyt9
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have typed in the service and bought up the menu and all is showing as zeros but also the x is in the network bracket so looks like phone locked. I don't understand why there are no warnings built in for attempted failures of unlocking. I have 2 days warranty left but how would Sony respond to a code they supplied not working with the phone.  I have checked the emi matches as it went away for repair to O2 just I case they sent a different phone back, but also is it a know issue for codes to not work with phones

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144142 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27611 Solutions
We don’t usually hear of any problems with Sony phones. It’s usually Samsung that causes problems.
I’d certainly try Sony first but if they can’t help I’d be off to my local repair shop after that.
Nothing to lose with no warranty left either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 14