cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handset paid in full, requesting Bootloader Unlock code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings,

Having paid off the final payment on my o2 refresh, I now truly own my device and am wondering where I should ask for the Network/Bootloader unlock codes?

The device in question is a Sony Xperia Z1 and since upgrading to the Z5, I wish to repurpose the Z1 as a telephony free device, as the hardware inside is still good enough for gaming, wireless remote, etc...

That being said, in order to make the device more efficient for the reduced functionality, I need to be able to flash my own kernel, which is not possible with the bootloader unlock status set as no.

Hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction to acquiring my code.

Many thanks,

George

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

A quick update...
Before giving up on o2 entirely, I decided to ask one of the online Gurus about getting the bootloader unlocked.
After a brief warning as to why it is not recommended to unlock the bootloader, he submitted the instruction to unlock the handset.
Within 7 days I'll recieve an email, upon which I should insert the sim card back into the old phone and follow the instructions in the email.

Thankfully, 7 days is still well within my 14 day binding period which gives me time to return the Z5 should that fail, but the guru seemed genuine and knew exactly what I was asking.

I'll update you guys when I receive the email. Handshake

Message 21 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
That sounds like a network unlock request which will not unlock the bootloader at all, but we will wait and see....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

He said, in order to change to bootloader unlock flag, the handset must be network unlocked first and that the email will have instructions to follow once that goes through.

It seems to fit with what happed to the guy I know that had his Orange handset unlocked.

Time will tell and I shall be sure to let you guys know the outcome.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends.Dance

Message 23 of 27

MI5
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Yeah will be interested to know how it goes and would be a change in policy for o2 too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 27

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Having unlocked every O2 xperia Z phone, I can tell you that the "bootloader unlock allowed" never changed from NO.
It is hard locked at the point of finalising the assembly by Sony and I cannot see this changing any time soon, especially on older models.
Message 25 of 27

MI5
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I'm very sceptical about it too but the guru did seem very sure about it wink

Currently using:
Message 26 of 27

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Good luck with this but I too am very sceptical about information supplied by a guru.

Message 27 of 27