cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Kaiser phone blocked by 02 and won't take my GiffGaff sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

My HTC phone will accept any other network sim other than 02. I am aware that the previous 02 number was blocked, but I need the phone to use my new GiffGaff sim.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I can see your point but they aren't to know that the original owner isn't simply changing sim cards to proceed in similar circumstances that caused the phone to be blocked in the first place.

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Again, I very much appreciate your input and assistance with my predicament. What I will say to any 02 representative viewing is that the policy of blocking a phone to your network, rather than the sim/number, is ridiculous at best. The phone is simply a phone.

Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why oh why would GiffGaff have to go with such a network? God help us from the Big Brother state and the lords of the mobile networks!

Message 13 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Again, I very much appreciate your input and assistance with my predicament. What I will say to any 02 representative viewing is that the policy of blocking a phone to your network, rather than the sim/number, is ridiculous at best. The phone is simply a phone.

Not really, as you don't know why it was blocked.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes really. It's a phone. I am the new owner of the phone and I've tried to use a completely different sim from a different company and pay a regular subscription for its use. GiffGaff pays a subscription to use the 02 network. The sim is not 02 and the phone is asked to do what a phone is meant to do.

Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

One final point - I was advised by a Carphone Warehouse rep to contact 02 to get this issue resolved. He explained that it was not my fault that the phone was blocked to 02 network and once the situation was explained, it could easily be remedied. Wrong!

The fact remains that an 02 block remains an 02 block, regardless of the circumstances.

Message 16 of 22

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Its quite likely the original owner had some sort of problem and the result ended up being an unpaid bill. No doubt the first thing to be blocked was the sim card followed by the phone. Second user iphone owners have been known to experience this from what I've read on other forums.

Might even have been an insurance claim made via the o2 insurance but I'm speculating.

I take it that the giffgaff sim is actually working in other phones? If so it may be a case of the giffgaff sim card being incompatible with the phone. 

Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes sheepdog, the GiffGaff sim works perfectly in an old Nokia. I am in no position to afford an iphone or similar, but that isn't the point. I am simply baffled by the nonscence of not being able to use it in a 'new to me' phone. If, for example, a computer user uses an IP to host a fileshare server, then it is understandable to block the IP. It is, afterall, hardly the fault of the computer.

Message 18 of 22

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

For whatever reason you have a blocked phone, you may as well throw it in the bin.

I hope you didn't pay cash for it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 19 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
A stolen or reported lost phone will be barred. They are usually the subject of an insurance claim and as such are the property of the insurance company. Anyone found in possession of a blocked phone is at risk of handling stolen property. Barring of suspect phones is standard industry practice and it helps to prevent the "market" from existing. It is not unique to O2 and it is most unlikely that any network will overturn a barr. If you have paid for it you've been had. If it was free you've lost nothing. These are the facts unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 22