cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Desire 510 | Intermittent loss of GPS signal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to inform you about my experience with HTC repair centre and HTC Desire 510 gps functionality. I have been having intermittent issues with gps signal loss. I have tried different GPS apps and issue is always the same. Signal loss can take around 2 minutes and it intermittent.

My wife has got the same model and guess what... yes it is excatly the same issue. Also if you google this issue you can find more people having excatly the same problem:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/desire-510/help/gps-signal-lost-t2979312

http://www.htcforums.com/desire/15158-htc-desire-510-intermittent-failing-gps-signal-print.html

I have raised this issue with HTC and my phone was sent to their repair centre. I was without the phone for around 2 weeks. I have received it last week and there was no explanation attached as to what has been replaced \ fixed. I have tested it over the weekend and issue remains the same.

I have spoken to HTC today (Madelene from HTC support) and was told that it was a serious issue and motherboard needed to be replaced. Madelene advised me that they are unable to get me a refund and I should speak to Retailer.

So if you want to buy brand new HTC Desire 510 and use it GPS functionality do not waste your time. Go for a different brand and save your time. It looks like HTC is delievering faulty product knowing about it and not doing anything about that. It is my first experience with this company and definately the last one.

I will be speaking to O2 this week to get a refund for both phones. Will let you know the outcome...

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another update...

I have been contacted by O2 on beginning of this week and I have been advised that repair centre are having problems with replicating my issue. I was asked for more detailed description of the problem. I have provided that although I have thoroughly explained problem to shop assistant in Manchester.

Yesterday, I was informed that phone is ready for collection from Manchester - Cross Street branch. I have decided that I`m going to collect it on Saturday.

I have been advised that repair centre could not replicate the fault. O2 said that if I want I may spend 30 minutes with O2 guru and he/she can test that functionality with me - :). The alternative is to send it back to repair centre for 2nd investigation. They have to do it 3 times before they can replace phone because that is O2 process. O2 also cannot count 1st repair that was done by HTC as that is against O2 process :).

Now, listen to this as that is the best part. While I was without my HTC phone I have taken their courtesy phone for £25. Today when I wanted to return it, shop assistant noticed that charger is missing in the box. I admit it was my fault, so I suggested that I can leave box & courtesy phone with them, they also do not have to return my £25 until I return charger.

Guess what - assistant manager (this time :)) said no. You cannot have your HTC phone back unless you return charger. He explained that this is O2 process. grin

This is simply ridiculous. Process driven company with no common sense, no customer empathy whatsoever.
I`m going to get to the bottom of this issue and I will do whatever it takes to make sure people are aware how O2 & HTC treat their Customers.

To be continued...

Message 11 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

That's just absolutely silly. All they have to do is withhold the deposit. Sometimes you just despair at these people, where do they get them from?

Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have chatted with O2 Complaint Team about my experience with O2 Store. Check this out..

me • 2:01 PM
while I was without my htc phone I was using courtesy phone (£25). Today when I was trying to collect my HTC I have forgotten to take charger. I have suggested that I can leave courtesy phone & box and that they do not have to return £25 until I return charger. The assistant manager did not agree.
me • 2:01 PM
he said that he is not going to give my htc until i bring charger for courtesy phone
me • 2:02 PM
I'm sorry for the experience you had at O2 store.
Dinesh • 2:03 PM
It's never good when a customer tells us that they are not happy with our services and we have let them down.
Dinesh • 2:04 PM
This is not the level of service we intent to provide our customers.
Dinesh • 2:04 PM
I'll raise a feed back, so that this could be picked up and not repeated in future.
Dinesh • 2:05 PM
Please help me with the name of the advisor/staff member at O2 store.
Dinesh• 2:07 PM
sure
me • 2:07 PM
it was assistant manager in Manchester - Cross Street o2 branch
me • 2:08 PM
Thanks Adam.
Dinesh • 2:08 PM
I was there around today around 12
me • 2:08 PM
Thanks for all the details.

Dinesh • 2:09 PM

Adam, I've passed your comments and feedback to the concerned manager to ensure this can be picked and such incidents aren't repeated.
Dinesh • 2:12 PM

Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

and that is another interesting conversation:

Is the GPS still not fixed?
Dinesh • 2:30 PM
that is why it was send for 2nd repair
me • 2:30 PM
no
me • 2:30 PM
I understand but the signal may fluctuates when you drive on motorway.
Dinesh • 2:34 PM
Please confirm if GPS work when you're not travelling?
Dinesh • 2:35 PM
well then that means you sell phones not fit for purpose
me • 2:35 PM
the whole point of using GPS is when I travel
me • 2:36 PM
if i`m not travelling i do not use gps
me • 2:36 PM
I'm sorry if you feel so. GPS is inbuilt phone feature.
Dinesh • 2:36 PM
gps is inbuilt phone feature so?
me • 2:37 PM
that is the reason you use it when travelling
that is the reason you have got all apps so you can use it with
I'm sorry but we cannot replace the handset as it's out of cooling off period.
Dinesh • 2:37 PM
but you have sold phone which is not fit for purpose
me • 2:38 PM
you do not say that you cannot use it for travelling
me • 2:38 PM

Shocking heh? grin

As you want to escalate this further, I'll go ahead and forward your case to our customer relations team,
Dinesh • 3:00 PM
They will investigate this for you and get back to you on a call back within 5 working days.
Dinesh • 3:00 PM

Our Customer Relation Team will follow up with an investigation and contact you within 5 working days.

to be continued...

Message 14 of 19

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 15 of 19

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Please do not hold your breath for 5 days, the chances of anyone getting back to you hover between zilch and zero!

Message 16 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

"Our customer relations team will follow up...blah blah"

Who are they then? Never heard of them personally.....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have collected my phone on Sunday. O2 Repair Centre stated in a letter that they could not replicate issue however they installed latest software.

Here are details:

Android version: 4.4.3
HTC Sense version: 6.0
Software number: 1.08.206.3
HTC SDK API level: 6.25
Kernel Version: 3.10.28-g72f7e8d
and@AABM #1
SMP PREEMPT
Baseband version: 01.02.010_U10251_36.08.40814_F
Build number: 1.08.206.3 CL376910 release-keys

I have compared these details with my wife's phone which is also HTC 510. They are exactly the same. So my question is which latest software has been installed in my phone?

In the last 3 days I have been testing returned phone. The issue is still the same - GPS losses its signal intermittently. It takes me 30 minutes to get to work and within that time frame it can happen a few times. Signal loss lasts around 2 minutes. You can imagine how frustrating it is especially if you do not know your route.

I have been contacted today by Michael from 'Complaint Review Service' team. Here is a copy of his email he sent after our conversation:

"Further to our earlier conversation, I've ordered the refurbished phone to the below address and providing there are no issues with stock, you should receive this tomorrow.
As this is a refurbished phone that we’re sending to you outside of our usual process, any future repairs of this phone would need to be done through us. However, if you do experience the same issues, I’d certainly ask the question to HTC as to why it’s not worked on various phones.
I’d suggest keeping your original phone until this issue has been resolved."

I have again explained the whole story with HTC & O2. I have told Michael that my wife's phone has got the same issue and more people reported it. I have asked if I can get phone replacement from another manufacturer and I`m willing to pay difference. Michael said that O2 is unable to offer that and they can only offer me a refurbished HTC 510.

It seems people from O2 do not want to take ownership of this issue. I have spoken with a few of them and they usually try to use the same version of script:

- There is no problem with phone
- GPS may not always work reliably and that is fine
- Issue may be with software which we do not cover
- Contact manufacturer and try to resolve it that way

I`m going to test the one their are going to send to me and take it from there.

to be continued...

Message 18 of 19

MI5
  • 144328 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Reflashing latest firmware is standard Anova speak for "we've no idea what we're doing".
O2 will only offer a different phone if yours is no longer available. As it appears to be an HTC issue I don't hold out any hope for the replacement either, tbh.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 19