Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: HTC Desire 12 month Simplicity customers upgrading 1 yr

Hope fully the handset SHOULD be available slightly cheaper than external websites etc. I spoke to O2 if the Desire S could be purchased for a one off fee and they came back with a price of £290, it was £350 on PAYG, so I assume the same would apply to the Sensation.
Hope that helps.
Ahmed

Encouraging, cheers
Highlighted
Anonymous

Bumping as the phone is now available.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I got that same deal and I'm looking for a replacement phone but keep the same simplicity contract.... but they gave me options of paying full price for the phone or moving to a new contract.

Highlighted
Anonymous

... and next phone call to retentions resulted in a One S at stock price and staying on my existing Simplicity deal saving me hundreds over the best contract they could offer. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Anonymous

So are you saying that we can purchase the HTC One S for ~£290 from O2 if we are an existing Simplicity customer for more than 12months?

I also got the Desire back in 2010 on the £280 deal and would be curious to see if O2 have the same deal going for upgrading to One S or One X

John

Highlighted
Anonymous

I got my Desire 18 months ago on the simplicity deal and now looking for a replacement.  The  deal O2 are doing currently for an HTC One S on pay monthly is looking good.

I'm currently paying £25 a month on simplicity but under this deal I pay £2 more a month for roughly the same mins (most of my calls are to other O2 phones) and get the phone much cheaper than buying outright...

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_monthly/init/HTC/One_S 

Highlighted
Anonymous

DanyCymru
I called O2 earlier today to enquire about purchasing a HTC One S.
Sadly O2 were only going to offer me the price of £429.99 (5p more than Carphone Warehouse)
It seems that the deals we all had when we purchased our HTC Desire phones for £285 are just not being offered anymore.
The gentleman I spoke with said that they could not lower the price of the handset.
Has anyone else been able to get a HTC One X or One S from O2 for £290-370? Or are O2 literally playing hardball this time around?

What I find quite odd is that O2 are selling phones at Carphone Warehouse prices.
Surely O2 phones are supposed to be subsidised and locked to the network, which usually results in a cost saving?

John
Highlighted
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
DanyCymru
I called O2 earlier today to enquire about purchasing a HTC One S.
Sadly O2 were only going to offer me the price of £429.99 (5p more than Carphone Warehouse)

John

But that is the PAYG price and the subsidies on these are all but removed. Most networks took this route when the fall in Mobile Termination Fees made PAYG less profitable
The max you pay on contract is £179.99
Highlighted
Anonymous

Those are all very valid points Dave
However I am not looking for PAYG as I am happily on my Simplicity 20 which has the right amount of minutes and txts to suit my needs... and more importantly an unlimited web bolt on!

The issue I have is that back in 2010 O2 offered me a HTC Desire for £285 as a handset to use on my Simplicity Contract (upgrading from a Sony Ericsson phone) .

At the time the HTC Desire was a flagship phone and was ~£400-500 on PAYG

Yet O2 discounted the handset significantly as I was an existing Simplicity user. This time around they are not even able to offer me a better deal.

What surprises me is that O2 are not even willing to lower the price of the HTC One S to match Three's HTC One S PAYG price.

I am considering contacting retentions today to see if I can get a better deal.

John
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just spent nearly an hour on the phone to retentions. Got me nowhere.
So to summarise those of us who had a great deal on our Simplicity tariffs back in 2010 will no longer get good deals on handsets.

O2 have a policy of getting you onto a £36 p/m on and on contract and will do little to no negotiation around this.

If you want to stick on Simplicity and upgrade your handset only you will be charged the full price of £429.99 for the HTC One S and £479.99 for the HTC One X Smiley Sad

John