Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Messages Chat Feature

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

Does anyone know how to enable chat features on Android? I've followed the instructions, however the chat features is stuck on 'setting up' and 'attempting to varify your phone number' I've tried power cycles, and the instruction Google provide (clearing the cache and data for messages and carrier services), non of which correct the issue.

I have read somewhere if you port your number in it can be because the number on your SIM is not the number used (if that makes sense) and that a 'network refresh' can fix this.

Has anyone has any luck getting this done / getting chat set up?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@PhoneChanger 

You can change the number on your sim by putting it into an iPhone or older Nokia phone and go into the edit sim settings or My Number on iPhone.

O2 don't push numbers to sim cards so anything else is unlikely to help.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@MI5 Thought that was the case, and i've corrected the number using an iPhone, but still stuck on the same steps

Thanks anyway
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
I assume you have a mobile signal currently?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
I do, I've tried it both on 4G only and on Wifi, same outcome on them both 🙂
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
No idea then mate, sorry.
Mine asked me to input the number I wanted to use (it's a dual sim phone) then it registered and worked immediately after that.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6