cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 keeps turning off

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the last couple of weeks my Galaxy S3 keeps turning itself off. It does it about once a day at random times. I will just go to check it and can't get a response. I have to restart it by holding down both buttons.

The battery is fine (charged, works fine once I restart) and it is not playing up in any other way.

Is my phone broken? I have had it less than a year.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S3 was doing exactly this last week - it escalated to about once every 5 monutes.

I backed it up and reset it using the Settings on the phone, and saved my stuff in DropBox.

Once it was back up everything was goo and I just reinstalled the apps I knew weren't harmful.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Common causes are apps that crash and cause the phone to do the same or bugs in the software. There has been a fix released by Samsung because some phones were suffering from this on the first 4.1.2 release but O2 have not released it yet. If you have an unbranded phone you can update to the latest version with Kies.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I will try an update like you suggested.

My phone seems to have just turned off again (second time today). However... this time I am still getting a flashing light on it (a notification light). But the screen will not turn on (neither button does anything). Just tried phoning it as a test to see if it's just the screen but the phone didn't react to being called (although call didn't go straight to voice mail which suggests maybe phone is on to some extent?)

Confused now what it is!

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Try the software update first then we'll go from there....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have connected my phone to Kies. Unfortuntely it is not giving me an option to update my phone at this time, so I am stuck with version 4.1.2 for now it seems.

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you installed any new apps that coincided with the shutting down of the phone? Any battery or data apps you have downloaded? If all else fails try backing up and a full restore and don't use any apps that you don't really have a need for.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S3 was doing exactly this last week - it escalated to about once every 5 monutes.

I backed it up and reset it using the Settings on the phone, and saved my stuff in DropBox.

Once it was back up everything was goo and I just reinstalled the apps I knew weren't harmful.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

I have uninstalled a few of the most recently downloaded apps so I'll see if that helps. Will go through older ones and delete any I don't use/need.

If there are still problems I'll take the advice about backing up and resetting the phone.

Message 8 of 10

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Lets us know how you get on amberfirez.

Welcome to the community.

Thanks to all those who have offered help slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the same issue..

I cleared the SD card and done a factory reset.

Installed only the APPS i needed but still getting the same problem.

Going to try it again.

Message 10 of 10