cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive unexplained data use

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a Huawei wifi hotspot device from O2 on the 22nd November with a 15Gb monthly data allowance. After 29 days or so I was informed that my data was exhausted. I told the O2 operative on the chatline that I could not believe this as I had only been using the wifi for browsing and email with perhaps 20 mins of streaming video clips. She helpfully told me that it was exhausted because I had used it all up! I purchased another 1Gb to tide me over until my rollover day when my 15Gb reset itself. In the meantime I asked countless gurus and helplines to allow me to monitor my data usage on my O2 account. (I have a PAYG phone as well) This proved an impossible task until I took the ridiculous step of borrowing somebody else's wifi, putting my wifi chip in a borrowed phone, registering it and collecting the passcode texted to the number (difficult to access when it's in a wifi dongle, not that this occurs to some gurus!) and finally transferring the account to my O2 account. Eight days into the new month and my data is exhausted!! No help from gurus and I got so fed up holding onto a line waiting for a response from an assistant (I had been on the chatline for 1hr and 7 mins at the time) that I sent a message that this was a waste of time and I would go to a store for assistance and speak to a human face to face. Having done this, the assistant at the Walthamstow store (Tyrone, a godsend) logged into my account, took one look at my data usage, said "something's wrong here" and showed me massive data usage at midnight almost every night. He and his assistant asked me if I had any automatic backup/downloads scheduled to which I replied no, that only my chromebook and four phones were attached and that I never had such an issue at home where I have a 16Gb monthly limit which I never come near using. Tyrone showed me that the data usage started a month previously with 470Mb and gradually increased every time unti it was a massive 2.12Gb one night. No wonder my data was exhausted! I cannot figure out what would use such massive amounts of data and I have resorted to turning off the hotspot or my devices every night before midnight. Does anybody have an idea what this might be? I have Google drive but with minimal data on it (I believe about 200Mb maximum). I cannot think what else it can be.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Sounds like something is set to update overnight, likely one of your phone's apps (or several)

Go through the data usage on each device connected to the data SIM to find out where the data is being used. You can usually find this in the phones settings.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Sounds like something is set to update overnight, likely one of your phone's apps (or several)

Go through the data usage on each device connected to the data SIM to find out where the data is being used. You can usually find this in the phones settings.
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As @jonsie says in the other post the data is always shown at midnight for total days usage (on the bill) so the helpful  shop staff have thrown in a red herring there.

Trying to find this will be dificult as all data over wifi is hard to trace and the hotspot provides no indication of what is using the data

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I can suggest going into the data usage settings on the four connected devices, there should be some clue in there as to what apps are using a lot of data.

Message 5 of 5