cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital radio app

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I want to listen to a digital radio app whilst at work but need to know how much of my data usage it will take.  Is there a way that I can find out?

I tried live chat but it wasn't very helpful

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then you either need more data so if you base on 3mb per minute that will tell you how much data you need or to save your £ you might want to get a little portable digital radio as you rightly suggested.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the Community.

There are a wide range of radio apps available on Google play or Apple IStore depending on your handset.

From my experience when using the gsm network they are as data heavy as tv streaming using between 2.5 and 3mb per minute.

If you have access to wifi when you listen to your favorite radio stations this is recommended to avoid using up all of your data allowance.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
To give you some comparison, Sky Go (tv) users between 2 and 3 mb pet minute and BT Sport uses between 3 and 5 mb per minute so as you will see, radio is fairly data intensive.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi piperdog. Thank you for the welcome and for the response. I have a Galaxy G5 and there is one particular station I want to listen to, however your answer is what I expected to hear and I'm sad 😞 I will have to buy myself a little digital radio to listen to instead
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have access to wifi where you want to listen to your favourite station?

Remember if you have BT Broadband at home you can access over 5 million free wifi hot spots across the UK.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, unfortunately there's no wifi where I work, I dont have BT Broadband either
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then you either need more data so if you base on 3mb per minute that will tell you how much data you need or to save your £ you might want to get a little portable digital radio as you rightly suggested.
Message 7 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Hi, I use Tunein Radio and it depends on the bit rate of the radio station. Many stations offer a number of streams at different bit rates. In the Tunein app you can choose the bit rate. To do this once you've searched for a station or you are in your presets swipe your finger from right to left over the station name. The choice of bit rates will then appear (providing the station offers more than one stream). The lower the bit rate you choose the less data you'll use, however lower bit rates mean lower audio quality.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
To give you an idea of usage if a station is a common 192K bit rate then that is 90MB per hour.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

I hope you found the advice helpful. What did you finally decide to do?

Message 10 of 10