cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting text messages

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I stop my text messages converting to pic messages when I use an emoji? I have a Samsung s4 mini
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Set creation mode to restricted and also tick the box to "warn when converting".
Both these options are found in the message app settings.
Some additional help here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
Set creation mode to restricted and also tick the box to "warn when converting".
Both these options are found in the message app settings.
Some additional help here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

To my knowledge they will always convert to picture messaging or MMS when you add an emoji

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
They don't always convert @Cleoriff

The Note 3 on 4.4.2 does not convert them all. The Green and the Yellow ones are no longer classed as mms.

Might be worth being careful when you upgrade to lollipop though just in case that changes .
Message 4 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
They don't always convert @Cleoriff

The Note 3 on 4.4.2 does not convert them all. The Green and the Yellow ones are no longer classed as mms.

Might be worth being careful when you upgrade to lollipop though just in case that changes .

Agree...but as most do (according to my google search) I would always urge caution.

(I still remember that report of the phone user who got a bill for £1200 purely through using emoji's) That was well published at the beginning of the month...:smileysad:

EDIT: I have just noticed MI5 posted before me...that's how long it takes me to type Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely agree. My Sammy S4 still treats the yellow one as mms even though that it also on 4.4.2
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I done this but it's still converting!
Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
If you send emojis it has to convert, but the choice is yours and you should be able to set a warning.
Use whatsapp or BBM etc if you want to send emojis for free over your data allowance or wifi.
Message 8 of 19

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13534 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just a quick bit of info, on my Xperia Z3 emojis are not sent as mms but using them will restrict text to 70 characters. After that they will convert.
Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 124238 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Just a quick bit of info, on my Xperia Z3 emojis are not sent as mms but using them will restrict text to 70 characters. After that they will convert.

Just read something along the same lines @viridis  (in that emoji's take up character space therefore reduce the amount needed for a SMS)...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19