cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADVICE ABOUT BROKEN SCREEN PLEASE!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Looking for some advice, sorry it’s a bit of a mouth full but thought I’d include all the details.

My partner signed a new o2 contract for a white galaxy 3 about 2 weeks ago.

Phone seemed to work great with some great features, but just over a week after buying it we noticed a very faint hairline crack in the morning, it’s under the surface of the screen which could not be felt with nail or finger. We were playing with apps just before bed the night before and are both confident it was not there then. Within hours of noticing the crack the whole screen went blank and the screen completely stopped functioning.

We went to the o2 shop in Beeston which is the closest (but not where we brought it from). They said its clear it’s a manufacturing fault as the phone is in perfect condition with no signs of it being dropped or mishandled. He said he would happily do a straight swap, however they are a franchise and we will need to go to shop we brought it from; so we did.

The team leader at o2 Shop in Nottingham said he’s never heard of a screen breaking “On its own” and they will not cover it and to use our insurance. We argued that we felt it must be a manufacturing fault as the phone has never been dropped or even left its protective case and we mentioned some research we did regarding hairline cracks found in new galaxies, and that it seems many people have experienced it too. He wasn’t interested and said it’s up to the repair team to judge. Phone got sent off and within 2 or 3 days we got a response that it’s not covered by warranty.

So we spoke to the store about getting the repairs done by the insurance cover. And the insurance won’t cover the phone because it only covers accident damage and the phone has never been dropped so therefore not accidently damaged.

The whole situation just doesn’t seem fair...My partner is in tears, she needed the phone for work but instead is left signed up to a 2 year contract for faulty phone, paying for insurance that isn’t even insuring her. And all she’s done is be honest...Money is very tight for us and we really cannot afford this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don’t know who to go too.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Go to or contact your nearest service centre http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You could try Samsung directly who may be more sympathetic than the useless repairers that O2 use or you could accidentally "drop" it so you can claim off the insurance.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Problem with that is the insurance company now know there is a problem so will invalidate any future claims. 

Do try Samsung as I wouldn't exactly say that the o2 repair are solid in their assessment according to many other posting on here. 

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both, The insurance company have it noted that we have an invalid claim and even if the phone was to be dropped now, they will not repair a phone that was defective to start with. I will try Samsung, is there a forum like this or is it best to ring?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Go to or contact your nearest service centre http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

Currently using:
Message 5 of 5