cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G on Samsung S4, Sheffield - Flakier than 3G?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

"Upgraded" to 4G on my Samsung Galaxy S4 a couple of days ago. Since that time, I've found mobile data to be not much faster, even when 4G is connected, and much more prone to disconnects than when I was just on 3G.

Examples using SpeedTest app from Ookla show down speed of 4.03Mbps using HSDPA and 4.79 using 4G at my workplace - the variance is similar at my home and in the middle of Sheffield - 4G is barely any faster than the service is is allegedly an upgrade from.

I'm seeing constant disconnects when on 4G (where the 4G symbol disappears and no data connection is available), very annoying when trying to use the sort of application that 4G is advertised for such as in the middle of online gaming or media streaming. If I prompt the device, I can generally reconnect to HSDPA / 4G almost immediately, but I would expect the connection to remain live whilst it's being used unless signal is lost etc - which an immediate reconnect on prompt would indicate is not the case. I have noticed that on activation, a 4G connection takes longer to establish than a 3G - up to 30 seconds, whilst a 3G connection is usually available by the time I unlock the keypad (ie <10s).

If I change my device settings to only use 2G/3G data connections, I receive a fairly reliable service - it does not disconnect in this fashion.

I'm curious as to the experience of other O2 4G users within Sheffield, and / or who are using a Samsung S4, as to whether they are experiencing similar issues.

(My device runs Android 4.3. Like an idiot, I installed when available before checking how it worked for others first... but I'm not aware of the 4.3 debacle causing this sort of issue.)

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149395 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Speeds will vary depending on the number of users. I'm not in Sheffield but between Coventry and Liverpool I see a range of 20mbps to <1mbps.
It is always slower in city centres than on the outskirts too and yes I have noticed the 4G disconnect issue but my phone (HTC One) usually pops up on 3G immediately after dropping 4G, although there is some lag.
As the service matures it should get more stable - remember, it is still quite new.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Try the O2 My Network app and you can send in reports from there.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply,
My home and work are both out of the city centre, and I've yet to see speeds above 5Mbps, though to be fair I don't sit there checking it over and over!
The disconnects are frequent - multiple times per day and enough to be an irritation, which is why I'm wondering about other users with the same device / location / network combination.

Have downloaded the My Network app and will see if this helps shed any light, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Update, just run 3 speed checks from my desk within 3 mins of each other.

D/L on 4G has varied: 525Kbps, 4.01Mbps, 6.24Mbps

Upload returned: Failed Test, 2.01Mbps, 6.38Mbps.

Not exactly encouragingly stable!! :robotfrustrated:

Message 4 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Not sure if you know this but you can't make calls over 4G it's data only.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Perksie, I'm familiar with the difference between data and voice. The issues are, as stated in OP, with data services.

Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you got 4G preferred or 3G preferred set in your settings?

If you have 3G preferred set it may well be dropping to 3G if the signal is stronger.
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply Nandroid,

I have options available for 4G/3G/2G autoconnect, 3G/2G autoconnect and 3G only.

When I use 4/3/2, my phone can be stationary (eg on my desk) and signal will bounce from 4G to HSDPA to nothing. With 3/2 or 3 only, it will maintain a steady and strong HSPDA signal at that location.

I can't see any options for 4G preferred or 3G - there's nothing in the settings menu for this.

I expected that with 4/3/2 active, should the 4 not be strong enough, then the device would switch to 3 - not disappear altogether and leave me without any data service at all...

The end result is that if I use 4G for a service such as streaming video (the sort of service that 4G is being pushed for!), then the experience becomes futile due to signal drop / variance. If I use 3G only, the same video, at the same location, a moment or two later, will work fine - over and over. I'm finding that I'm frequently turning 4G off just to maintain a usable service!

Speed tests show wildly varying results when 4G is on, as shown above. 3G results are fairly consistent.

Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Resolved:

On Friday, I was investigating the issues I was having with a incredibly-quickly discharging battery (less than 2hrs from 100% to empty).

Turns out my battery was experiencing issues which I understand are known with some batches of S4 battery, and was physically distorted. I had a spare battery , which I used as a control, which worked fine for battery life (4hrs intense use saw 100%->70%) also saw the 4G signal suddently become consistent at my home, where previously it was behaving erratically.

Next challenge: Get O2 to accept that I don't want to send my entire handset away for X weeks in order to get a replacement battery.

Message 9 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149395 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
The battery issues are well know and Samsung will replace it for you - I suggest you contact them directly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 10 of 21