Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Ignore that, found it by looking at upgrades:

n7.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 51 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats the one MI5 ☺, i did notice however that it says 2 weeks for the coral blue one but still says out of stock if you change the colour to onyx black. Strange times lol
Message 52 of 1,893

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I wonder if they hadn't received any Coral blue ones yet?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 53 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very possible. I myself ordered the onyx black so i might have a slightly longer wait
Message 54 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

so where does this leave people like myself who have upgraded, purchased accessories (Samsung branded so not cheap!), sold their old phone and dont have a replacement, had to take two days off work to await delivery of the phone on one day and the VR headset on another and dont want to settle for another phone as they want the Note 7?

Surely there is no time limit on the recall of 14 days? I would rather wait until O2 had a replacement Note 7 to swap with before handing back as I dont want any other handset and have no temporary phone to use anyway.

I shall await my call but i'm not holding any hopes that I'll get any response other than the canned, robotic one they will have given their advisors to read from.

Message 55 of 1,893

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As you can see from the thread we don't know those answers yet, but keep watching for any updates from o2.

Currently using:
Message 56 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right, update for everyone.

Spoke to a lovely lady at Samsung on their support line who said I can get a replacement directly from them even though I upgraded through O2.

I can continue to use my phone as normal (with some common sense ie. don't leave it charging all night long) as currently there are no reported issues in the UK.

She took my details down and informed me that Samsung will be in touch with me in roughly 7 days to let me know what the situation is and how replacement devices will be issued.

Whether this means I still have to send mine back first or whether it's collected and replaced at the same time I don't know but it's a darn sight better than the O2 situation of returning my phone and not having a phone for an unknown period of time.

My advice to owners, speak to Samsung directly and get a replacement (if you want to keep the Note 7) directly from them.

Message 57 of 1,893

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good info mate, well done.

Currently using:
Message 58 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Jongilluly if I understand what I have read on all the Community posts and seen on the news there are no replacement Note7 phones. I wish there were as it's the only phone I want too. But Samsung cannot supply o2 or any other network with replacement phones until they've isolated the problem, established which Note7s are affected and sorted a fix.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 59 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Ok very good news. So there are replacement phones good to know. No use to me as I haven't received my phone yet but for those who have great news.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 60 of 1,893