Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Update from O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

27th February 2017 Update

Hi Everyone. This week we will be posting letters out to any customers who have not yet made arrangements with us to return their Samsung Note7 devices. If for any reason you misplace or do not receive it for whatever reason, here's a copy:

We’ll soon block the Note7 from our network. It’s important that you get in touch today and we’ll get you back on track with a new device.

We’ll make switching to a different device simple, and give you £100 off the upfront cost. Or, if you prefer, we’ll cancel your Airtime Plan. Either way, we’ll cancel and refund your Device Plan.

Is your Samsung Note7 insured with us? We’ll also cancel your policy and refund your premium.

Simply back up your Note7, turn it off and call our hotline 0344 809 0202 or 202 free from an O2 mobile. Need a hand backing it up? Chat to an O2 Guru online.

For more details, visit http://o2.uk/Note7Update.

If you’ve already called us, please ignore this letter.

30th January 2017 Update

Hello everyone,

Samsung have notified us of their plans to release a new mandatory software update that will limit Note 7 devices to a 0% charge, effectively eliminating its ability to function as a mobile device. This software update is expected to be pushed out tomorrow, 31st January, so if you are still using this device (which we don't recommend for your safety) please take any necessary steps to back up any important data while you can.

Why are you doing this?
To be transparent and clear, this is Samsung’s decision and is European-wide. This is a further step in Samsung looking to retrieve as many devices as possible so as to ensure customer safety.

I'm still using my Note 7 - what now?
Once your device downloads the mandatory update it will cease to charge. We understand the inconvenience this may cause and we want to make transitioning to another device as easy as possible. If you are affected by this, please contact us as soon as is convenient on 0344 809 0202. We will also be in touch in the coming days by email and letter with more details, including how to change to another device and return your Note 7 to us if not yet done so.

I've already returned my Note 7 - what does this mean to me?
If you've already returned your Note 7 to us, there's nothing further you need to do. If you're in this position, we anticipate you'll already have switched to an alternative device. If this isn’t the case though, we’d recommend you speak to us as soon as you’re able to on 0344 809 0202.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 1,893
1,892 REPLIES 1,892

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

For delivery yes but for collection definitely down to O2 but they seem to be placing responsibility on the customer which any way up is wrong. 

Message 1801 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Rest assured, I will be chasing this up too from O2's side. I need to ask questions of affected members to know what to do next.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1802 of 1,893

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

Rest assured, I will be chasing this up too from O2's side. I need to ask questions of affected members to know what to do next.

I think you need to go to Hertz, rent a van and do a collection, I'm sure that would sort it and O2 will be generous in their gratitude Happy Dance

Message 1803 of 1,893

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

I think you need to go to Hertz, rent a van and do a collection, I'm sure that would sort it and O2 will be generous in their gratitude Happy Dance

Great idea. Sorry Toby but it's at that point where renting a van and doing a collection ain't that daft Crazy

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1804 of 1,893

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hey Guys,

For anyone who still has a Note 7 and are actively using it (and intend to continue to do so) we wanted to give you a heads up on a mandatory software update that Samsung will be pushing out in the coming days. The main change with this update is that it will reduce the battery charging capacity from 60% to 30%.

For customers who we've been unable to get in touch with, and who have not yet arranged collection, UKMail should have delivered a note with details on how to arrange collection. If you have already arranged your collection, we hope these will be collected soon. If you have not already, please call our dedicated number (0333 234 1457) in order to get your device picked up by UK Mail. If you have called us but have not heard from UK Mail, let me know via PM.

Get involved:

Message 1805 of 1,893

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Mandatory software update?
Is it forced or will the disabling of updater service still work?
Message 1806 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

So my Note was finally collected by UK Mail 3 weeks ago.. still no refund. Smiley Indifferent

I really don't understand how 2 months into another contract i'm still trying to get this sorted? I'm so tired of dealing with it. Astounded

Also worth noting that the UK Mail employee who collected the phone said that they had been told there was a cut off date for returns.. I don't know how true that is but if it is it's awful.

Message 1807 of 1,893

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@AnonymousThats absolutely appalling. Bad enough any time of the year....bur with Christmas on the way?

@Tobyis there any way you could intervene here? slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1808 of 1,893

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

What was the last thing we you were told by customer service about your refund?

Get involved:

Message 1809 of 1,893

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Toby,

Unfortunately nothing. The last communication i had from them is that they didn't know when UK Mail were going to arrange my collection (it just so happened they rang the day after that) and UK Mail picked it up on the 23rd if I remember rightly. My issue being I can guarentee if I call them they'll read off the same "we don't know" spiel I get every time.

Edit: They did tell me that I would have a refund within 10 days of them getting the phone back when I last spoke to them. I woud like to think they at least have it back now..

Message 1810 of 1,893