Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Welcome & News

Topics: 677

Re: Charge to Mobile & Premium SMS – A Community Guide

[ Edited ]

@Chris_K 

just to clarify, are you saying that O2 will be implementing a 2 step verification process by 11th May to stop customers being scammed by companies such as SB7 Mobile, Tap2Bill etc etc etc?

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 530

[ Edited ]

That should put an end to customers getting ripped off then. Good news.

Oh, and just to be clear, I never suggested that Payforit was a vendor?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
Topics: 547

Good news, roll on the 11th May.

Topics: 83
Kudos: 1,115
Blog Posts: 2

That is fantastic and about time!

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

There is an item on Watchdog tonight about 'charge to mobile'.

Level 12: Nimble

@Chris_K wrote:

Is Charge to Mobile Safe?
Yes. We only work with partners we trust, and we pre-approve every Charge to Mobile service to ensure they meet industry standards. Our partners are required to carry out thorough due diligence on each merchant, including credit checks. Additionally, we require that each merchant is registered with the Phone-paid Services Authority. We will revoke approval and suspend any service that doesn’t continue to meet these standards. We also review customer feedback relating to these services and act accordingly.

@Chris_K 

When did you last review the customer feedback regarding services operated by Lasevia Ltd - featured on last night's BBC Watchdog program.

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 20.09.50.png

Your web page on these "services" used to read:

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 16.10.12.png

Why has the final paragraph been removed?

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to 'Payforit' scams. Respond to the Phone-paid Services Authority Consultation

[ Edited ]

@Chris_K wrote:

Payforit isn't a vendor or a seller. Think of it like VISA or Mastercard. Payforit is the set of scheme rules put in place by the Mobile Network operators for merchants to adhere to, for services that UK mobile phone customers pay for through their mobile phone bills.

@Chris_K 

Any confusion over Payforit has arisen because O2 staff try to avoid taking responsibility for Payforit fraud  by blaming "Payforit"!

Last night's BBC Watchdog program demonstrated clearly how clickjacking exploits can result in consumers becoming unknowingly subscribed to Payforit services.

Could O2 review its current arrogant and callous attitude towards defrauded consumers in the light of this?

As you say, the Payforit rules are drawn up by O2 in cooperation with the other MNOs. Why then do O2 routinely refuse to allow consumers to escalate their disputes in the manner dictated by those rules?

Screenshot 20**Personal info** 10.15.05.png

@Chris_K wrote:
With the implementation of the new offline verification system (which all our partners must implement by 11th May 2019), all digital payments such signing up for a digital service that charges your mobile bill from a banner or advert - irrespective of the amount - will require customers to verify these by entering a pin or replying to a text with an affirmative action such as responding “yes”, before the payment is processed.

This extra layer of protection should ensure customers don't accidentally sign up to one off purchases or subscription services.

This is really good news, but won't help consumers who have already been tricked into fraudulent "subscriptions". What is O2 going to do for them? When EE introduced similar rules, consumers will still discovering fraudulent subscriptions months later. Will the 120 day rule be applied rigorously to stop this happening?

Will the new rules for these services on O2 also apply to GiffGaff?

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to 'Payforit' scams. Respond to the Phone-paid Services Authority Consultation

I totally agree. Last night's Watchdog was a complete eye-opener on the click-jacking method used.

My advice would be to never click a close' button and just closer the web browserpage by clicking the 'x' at the corner.

Topics: 83
Kudos: 1,115
Blog Posts: 2

@jonsie wrote:

I totally agree. Last night's Watchdog was a complete eye-opener on the click-jacking method used.

My advice would be to never click a close' button and just closer the web browserpage by clicking the 'x' at the corner.

Yes, I always do that @jonsie, very very careful what I click on a website, particularly as I play games. Many of them offer daily rewards where you have to watch an ad with the 'x' to close the ad when done is not clear. I search very carefully so I don't wind up signed up to a dodgy Payforit I don't want or need. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

@jonsie wrote:

@jonsie 

Don't close the web page by clicking the X in the corner!  The scammers know that consumers are used to closing popups in this way.This is the most common clickjacking exploit. Display a popup and hijack the click when the user clicks the X at the corner to close it. Close the whole browser not just the popup window. Use a pop up blocker. Use a VPN. or just don't use mobile data, at least until the new rules are in force.

These measures have worked for EE, but the scammers are always looking for ways to exploit the system. How long will it be before they find a way of reading the PIN number and responding?

I'd be much happier if O2 just stopped exposing MSISDNs to third parties via Payforit. If I want a company to have my number for charging purposes I'll give it to them myself!