Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt travel benefits

Clo13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am a UK customer and used Volt travel benefits very effectively on a recent trip to South America when I was able to use data and make calls with no extra cost. However I have recently upgraded my phone and got a new 02 tariff and am no longer able to receive the Volt travel benefits “because you have a new plan”. Though I am still a virgin Media and 02 customer. I live in N Ireland and need to phone Ireland for work and can no longer do this without incurring international call charges so it is a pain. The 02 travel benefits only apply when phoning from outside the UK. It is disappointing that the Volt travel benefits are only allowed with one plan and are no longer available if changing plan - I wish I had been aware of this. It’s a great benefit. As is the double data (which I am still getting! 🤷‍♀️). 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38557 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

If your new plan is a contract with O2, regardless if you upgraded with O2 directly or with a reseller (so long as it is not a Business Contract with a trusted local partner!) you are eligible for Volt - the benefits may drop for a few days, and then will resume, so long as the addresses on your VM and new O2 contracts match perfectly Volt Megaguide 

You may need to re-register for volt on your new phone - although I did not have to and my phone Volt benefits returned about 5 days after upgrade (from memory) without needing any intervention, @Clo13.

Check on the info in the guide above, see if you need to reach out to O2 via Social Media - but there will be a delay of a few days before benefits return. Good luck!

BTW - nothing in your Volt benefits makes it cheaper to phone an Irish number from NI, unless you had the O2 International Bolt On on your previous contract - which costs a small sum to get and offers discounted rated from UK to call other countries 

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/the-international-bolt-on

If you live close enough to the border to latch onto an Irish network, you can call using your O2 EU Roaming benefits at no cost - but you may be unable to see any Eir, Vodafone IE or Meteor signal if you live more than 15km from the nearest transmitter serving an Irish network.

Message 2 of 4

Clo13
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you that is extremely helpful - you’re very knowledgeable. 
Got my new phone 10 days ago but the new plan has just kicked in yesterday. I had been able to phone Ireland previously but maybe was getting charged for it. I have now bought the international bolt on. I didn’t realise that for both 02 and Volt you actually have to travel to get the travel benefits. Still don’t have the Volt benefits and I was told I would not be getting them, but I will wait a week or so and then try again. Less of an issue if I have 02 travel, until I go further afield again when it’s useful to have. Thanks again for taking the time to give me such a helpful and informative reply. 

Message 3 of 4

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38557 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1736 Solutions

You're welcome, @Clo13 - hope your Volt benefits kick in soon 🤞

Message 4 of 4