cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2's Useless Customer Service, IMEI Mix-Up, and 12 Credit Checks Later... Still No Upgrade!

lewisr51
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey everyone,

I’m honestly baffled by how far this situation with O2 has spiraled out of control. What started as a simple attempt to upgrade my iPhone has turned into weeks of confusion, miscommunication, and a complete lack of resolution. I’ve spent weeks trying to fix a bizarre IMEI mismatch issue, and in the process, I’ve visited multiple O2 stores, chatted with countless representatives, and wasted 5-6-7 hours of my time, all to get absolutely nowhere.

At every turn, I’m reassured that everything looks fine—my IMEI matches in-store, the reps tell me it’s all sorted—but the moment I try to proceed with the upgrade, the system refuses, claiming my IMEI is incorrect. It’s as if I’m stuck in a loop where no one seems capable of taking ownership or actually fixing the problem.

And get this—on My O2, it says my iPhone is midnight black… it’s blue. I have the original box, the receipts, and the proof of purchase that show everything matches. So, how did we get here? 🤦‍♂️ It’s about as dumb as it gets.

At this point, I’ve spoken to countless representatives, received conflicting information at every turn, and wasted far more time than I should have. Honestly, it’s been weeks of going around in circles, and I’m losing my patience.

Oh, and here’s the kicker: I’ve now failed a credit check… why? Well, probably because O2 has run 12-13 credit checks on me in the last week! I mean, obviously, that’s going to flag me eventually, right? But they seem to have zero awareness of the problem they’ve created! 😅

Is there anyone at O2 who can actually resolve this issue? How is this still happening after all this time? I’m genuinely at a loss. 😤

Has anyone else experienced this level of incompetence? I’d really appreciate any advice or help on how to escalate this, because I can’t spend another week dealing with this nonsense!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38756 Posts
  • 242 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@Dave-O2 are you able to help?

@lewisr51 - Dave is the Forum Manager, wait for a Private Message from him.

Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24065 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

@lewisr51 You could also try to reach O2 via social media, who are UK based:
Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB), Twitter (now X) (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW), or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

lewisr51
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've already had 3+ complaints regarding this issue. 

Message 4 of 8

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38756 Posts
  • 242 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@lewisr51 - my first Google Pixel was a 4a model.

For its entire contract, it was listed as a "PIXEL 3A" in my MyO2.

That matters little - but your IMEI as on your contract should match the info in O2's (bug-ridden) back-end systems.🤷

Any chance of help will most likely stem from @Dave-O2 at this point, but no harm in maintaining a Direct Message transaction in X until you get engagement. Good luck!

Message 5 of 8

lewisr51
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah, it’s crazy how this stuff happens. You’d think with the tech they have, something as basic as getting the right model and IMEI number would be automatic! I’m paying good money each month for what feels like second-hand customer service.

The worst part is the IMEI mismatch can mess up third-party insurance, which just adds more stress to the whole situation. I’m definitely not holding my breath for a quick fix—O2 has been about as useful as a chocolate fireguard so far. 😅 Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll keep pushing through DMs and see if @Dave-O2 can help me out! Fingers crossed! 🤞

Message 6 of 8

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 799 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @pgn 

@lewisr51 Sorry to hear about your recent experience, can you please drop me a PM with your mobile number? 

Just to set your expectations, I'll only be able to take a closer look at this from Monday 👍

iPhone 16 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 7 of 8

lewisr51
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sent you over my phone number

Message 8 of 8