cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

review payg again

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi 

i re-join o2 as all my mum is on o2 pay monthy. as on the 26th of may the mins and text and more data sound good but there 3000mins & 4000 text sound not enought if you top up £25 go to £30. giffgaff offer unlimted text & mins 6GB for £20. maybe just review it before it too late 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Trust me, it's already too late.
Also, o2 are not in competition with giffgaff as they are owned by the same company.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

la7
Level 4: Observant
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I see your point even with the new tariffs on the 26th the mins ans text are fine but the data is to low

On payg

lyca mobile (use o2) unlimited text and calls 9gb of data £20

giff gaff (use o2 owned by o2) 6gb then restriced speed unlimited £20

three 12gb of data for £20 or unlimited £25

asda mobile 6gb £20 

On contract tesco mobile half owned by o2 for £30 you can get 20gb of data

Message 3 of 19

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another thing with o2 the data bolt ons are far to low they are 10 years out of data even tesco mobile payg offer up to 8gb data bolt ons tesco is half owned by o2 so no excuse for sorting the expensive out of date data bolt ons out,

look at the bottom of this page

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1082-pay-as-you-go/1092-bundles/pay-as-you-go-data-bundl...

Message 4 of 19

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
One thing to remember is that virtual networks don't have anywhere near the same overhead as an actual network. They don't have to pay for sustaining the infrastructure or a fraction of the staff levels; mostly just rental. Its an entirely different business structure, so their plans are almost always going to be cheaper than a networks. Comparing them really isn't comparing like with like. It'd be more on point to compare O2s prices with Vodafones, EEs, and Threes. The same goes for contract prices between network stores and resellers like CPW, they're completely different types of business, hence the price disparity.
Message 5 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You also don't get full use of the potential data speed due to bandwidth restrictions.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 19

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

correct about that on giff gaff any speed you get will be 4x faster on o2 payg 10mb of giff gaff would give a speed of around 40mb on o2

But on tesco mobile yesterday i tested it against o2 and found i was getting better speeds than o2 contract and payg with a tesco sim both using the same phones and test servers then swaped the sims over just in case it was the phone but still the same results tesco gave a extra few mb of speed over o2 pay monthly

Message 7 of 19

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I agree with this but a lot of people especially if your on a budget are going to go with the higest amounts of min text and data for the cheapest amount of money and thats all they care

@PhoneDoc wrote:
One thing to remember is that virtual networks don't have anywhere near the same overhead as an actual network. They don't have to pay for sustaining the infrastructure or a fraction of the staff levels; mostly just rental. Its an entirely different business structure, so their plans are almost always going to be cheaper than a networks. Comparing them really isn't comparing like with like. It'd be more on point to compare O2s prices with Vodafones, EEs, and Threes. The same goes for contract prices between network stores and resellers like CPW, they're completely different types of business, hence the price disparity.

about

Message 8 of 19

la7
  • 181 Posts
  • 36 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another good thing about o2 payg is the fact you get 10% back on top ups so a £30 6gb big bundles will cost £27 as you get money back with o2 rewards and you will always get texts now and they give some extra credit when you top up, e.g top up £15 and get £10 extra credit to use on calls text and data over the next 14days 

Crazy

I think this is good but the biggest put off is the out of date data bundles which have been the same even before the days of 4g ,

£3 for 100mbShocked

£6 for 500mbShocked

£10 for 1gb Shocked 

these are shocking  prices for 2016 for extra data with smart phone these prices for the data bolt ons will drive people to other networks

Message 9 of 19

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

This is very true @la7. Everyone has a different definition of value for money. For many people, that may be the lowest payment possible, and fortunately, between virtual networks and resellers, there are a lot of options. 

For many others though, value may be more than an arbitrary bottom line, and can include things like the quality of products or services they're receiving.

For example, say I was in the market for a specific model of second hand car. There's a reseller nearby who will buy and sell any car. He has the model I want for £5500. I don't know a lot about cars, so I can't really determine the condition its in. The reseller is offering a 12 month warranty, backed up by a third party. 

Further down the road is a licensed garage for the actual manufacturer. They have the same model of used car in stock, same mileage, same condition. They're charging £6000. But it's an approved used car by the manufacturers standards, that comes with a 3 years extended warranty for parts and labour that the garage will take responsibility for itself. 

If you know enough about cars to identify one in good condition. If you're confident that you have the time and necessary skills to problem solve, should an issue arise with the car after you buy it. And if you want to keep your costs down as much as possible - then the first option may be something you want to consider.

On the other hand, there are people who may want the extra peace of mind of that comes from the direct sales channel. It may be slightly more expensive, but it inspires more confidence; and should things later go wrong, you know exactly who to turn to, and the quality of support is usually much higher. For them, this may be seen as better value. 

One thing you couldn't do though, is argue that the licensed garage charges the same (or less) than the reseller down the road. You may end up with a similar product, but you're not getting the same extras, the same level of support, or the same aftersales care. These things all cost money that someone has to pay for. If you don't think you'll make use of them though, there are other low cost options available.

As for data, those prices seem pretty fair considering O2's other propositions. It may be £10 for a 1GB data bolt on. But a 1GB mobile data SIM also costs £10. And a £10 top up on a Big Bundle PAYG sim only gets you 500MB of data. The best value for money would be to find a tariff that just exceeds your needs, so you wouldn't be reliant on purchasing frequent bolt-ons. 

Hope this helps

Message 10 of 19