Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does a Spend Cap cover?

ruth_jean
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Last night, my son ran out of data, so I phoned and put a spend cap on. He then found the internet worked for him. This morning, when he woke up, there was no access,a nd he got another message, saying that he was out of data.

Does the spend cap cover data as well as calls/texts, please? If it does, then what could have gone wrong?

Online, my account, which pays for his phone, says no extra charges incurred.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

The only explanation is that customer service added a small amount of data yesterday which has now been used..
The only way that data can be charged for as an extra is if you buy a bolt on. Spend caps do not cover these.
If you want more data you need to buy a bolt on but as his allowances reset tomorrow, there may not be any need.
5gb is a fairly large amount of data to use each month so he should be looking at using WiFi too where possible to keep your bills down.

@ruth_jean 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/spend-cap

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
  • 122385 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @ruth_jean 

If you apply a Spend Cap, you are, in effect, restricting his usage

Any chargeable usage outside your monthly allowance or outside of any Bolt On allowance will count towards your Spend Cap.

More info here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/spend-cap

If  you need to contact customer services then do so here Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

ruth_jean
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

His monthly data allowance was 5gb. He spent it, so should his spend cap have kicked in, to allow him more usage? His contract is £17.00 per month. Do I need to increase his spend cap to, say, £20.00, to cover him?

Message 3 of 9

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

@ruth_jean If you tariff is £17.00 per month with 5gb and you have a spend limit of £20.00 then he can spend an additional £20 on calls / texts / data / premium calls, etc. The amount you set as a spend limit is in addition to your monthly amount.

Best option if he runs out of data regularly is have a look at the next tariff up as its usually only £3-£5 per month more for usually an additional 5-15GB depending on your current tariff.

Message 4 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If he was connected to wifi then his data would still work @ruth_jean.
Did his monthly allowance restart?
A spend cap is effectively a limit to the amount he can go over the normal monthly amount by.
For instance - no spend cap means his bill (or yours) will only ever be the contract amount (£17).
A spend cap of £20 means his monthly bill COULD be up to £37 (£17 + £20).
My o2 tends to update daily rather than instantly - when did he run out and then use more data?
If yesterday then it might be on there now, but potentially could be tomorrow...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 9

ruth_jean
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's what I was thinking. I cannot understand why, with his spend cap put on yesterday, he had access last night, but not today. I can think of no valid reason why his internet was cut off again, today.

The billing date is tomorrow.

To explain it...

He ran out of data yesterday. Could not connect. Got a message - out of data.

Phoned 02 and got a spend cap added.

An hour later he was able to reconnect.

Today he could not. Got another message - out of data.

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

The only explanation is that customer service added a small amount of data yesterday which has now been used..
The only way that data can be charged for as an extra is if you buy a bolt on. Spend caps do not cover these.
If you want more data you need to buy a bolt on but as his allowances reset tomorrow, there may not be any need.
5gb is a fairly large amount of data to use each month so he should be looking at using WiFi too where possible to keep your bills down.

@ruth_jean 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/spend-cap

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

ruth_jean
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 - thanks. He is using the data when he is out, and unable to find free hotspots, or at work, during his lunchbreak. They are not allowed to login to company wifi.

I have now upgraded him to a new package, which, because it is a special offer, is actually cheaper than the current one.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143456 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@ruth_jean 

That's good news but set a reminder too yourself to check in 12 months time as some special offers only last for a year.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9