cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking out a second contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi hope someone out there can help. On Thursday I applied for a contact in my name for my partner. I didn't really expect it to be accepted as I don't have a great credit rating but it was. I'm now wondering how long it will be before I can apply again as I would like to take one out for myself. I don't want to try on any other network.
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

How long is a piece of string? Credit checks can be a funny business and it is impossible to predict whether you will pass for another account with O2.

My credit isn't fantastic yet I currently have 6 contracts, three of which are with O2 (one of which is mine, another for my partner as they wanted a £375 deposit from her but approved me with no deposit and another is to be terminated soon) and three with three (one is a mobile broadband contract on an iPad with them, another is a contract for my sister in law and the other is a sim only contract on £0 a month which only remains open for the boost to my credit rating)

Worth mentioning that all these accounts have been built up over the last 6 years and I have on occasion been declined for additional accounts when I have tried in the past.

Message 2 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmm I see. I know what you mean I've applied several times in the past year or so and kept getting rejected then all of a sudden just got accepted so was hoping that perhaps after a few months of up to date payments I would be able to take out another. Just a bit worried now that I won't get accepted for another when I've agreed to give this one to my partner lol
Message 3 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
You won't know until you try..

And if you won't get accepted on second contract, just steal your partners phone lol
Message 4 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh I'm tempted lol

That's the phone I've got him but in grey
Message 5 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue is the more you apply for and are credit checked this can adversely affect your credit rating, as some could see this as overstretching yourself.

As said you don't know until you try.

My son was declined for an O2 Contract because he's not actually applied for anything major ,so his credit reference file is rather empty apart from the overdraft on his bank account.

He left it a couple of weeks and went back to the same o2 shop and was accepted without issue !

Good luck.

Message 6 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I've read that. Think I'm going to wait a few months and then try. Thanks everyone who has replied.
Message 7 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah I've read that. Think I'm going to wait a few months and then try. Thanks everyone who has replied.

You're Welcome.

Take care.

Message 8 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have two o2 contracts both in my name although I do have a strong credit rating.

My advice would be to give it a go if you feel you can afford it and you want it. The worst they can do is day no.

Of they do say no I have heard of people offering to put a deposit down for a few months to show willing. Have been told it works Sometimes.

If the sales agent says no initially don't give up and ask to discuss with a team supervisor.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Message 9 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I took out my first contract with O2 many years ago they said to me you've been approved for 3 contracts I take it they don't do that anymore?
Message 10 of 35