Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I need more data

Nicolejames2222
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If I need more data added onto my contract over all, say if I have a 2GB plan and I wanna upgrade it to 6GB would I be able to or would I have to cancel my plan and then start a new one or could I actually upgrade it? I tried talking on the live chat but they had no idea what I was talking out🤦🏽‍♀️
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good morning @Nicolejames2222.

If you wish to increase your data allowance for the remainder of your contract, you can upgrade your allowance either through MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

or by contacting customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus. You will not need to sign a new contract.

However, if you only want to increase your data for the current month then a bolt on is your best option and you should look at the link provided by @Bambino above.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Nicolejames2222 Your ability to upgrade would depend on how long you had left to run on your current contract. You can check that on your MyO2 page. You could always pay off your current contract, but if there's a sizable number of months left, that might cost too much.

You could always get a bolt-on to supplement the amount of data you need. Take a look at this link and see if that would be of any value to you: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/My-O2-Bolt-ons-Mini-Guide/ba-p/1017022

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good morning @Nicolejames2222.

If you wish to increase your data allowance for the remainder of your contract, you can upgrade your allowance either through MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

or by contacting customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus. You will not need to sign a new contract.

However, if you only want to increase your data for the current month then a bolt on is your best option and you should look at the link provided by @Bambino above.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 12

Nicolejames2222
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you! But I’ll be going to uni and it will be a sim only contract I’ll be wanting, I’ll only need a 2gb now and 6gb when I move in a month. therefore I can’t afford to pay off the rest of my contract and get a new one in just a month. But I wanna settle it now rather than pay as you go then worrying about it again especially during a stressful time I don’t have a contract yet, this is the deciding factor, if I can’t upgrade my contract after I buy it then I’m not gonna bother with this provider.
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Nicolejames2222

So are you saying you don't currently have any type of contract?

You have a phone and want to start with a sim only contract?

If so there are plenty of simo contracts to choose from

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P12M

O2 simo only are either 30 days or 12monthly. There is no 6GB tariff but if you check the link you will find 2gb, 5gb and 12gb. Not a lot of difference in price between them. If you started with 2gb you could upgrade to a higher data allowance whenn you need it,

Be warned though if you start on a high gb tariff you cant downgrade, unless you take out a 30 day simo only

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144325 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If I'm understanding you correctly, yes, you can take a theoretical 2gb contract now and upgrade it to more data later, but, this is not the most cost effective way of doing it.
Overall, you will find it cheaper to take the higher data allowance from the start of your contract as the upgrade prices are more expensive.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I misunderstood the OP's first post (which wasn't difficult to do). @Nicolejames2222 if you haven't taken a contract out with any provider yet, apart from the amount of data you'll need you should also consider the coverage you'll get from any particular network in the area you'll be. As you're going to be in a university town, I would also think that WiFi would be fairly prevalent in many areas, and much of it probably free, so you may not need as much data as you think you do.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

Nicolejames2222
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Issue is I can’t afford it now that’s why I’m saying what I’m saying, the £5 difference is a huge deal
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144325 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
What makes you think you can afford it later then?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Nicolejames2222 If you go for a contract you can't afford, and end up not being able to pay it, you will get cut off, and have problems getting a contract again. Only you can determine what you can pay. You're going to have to live within your means whichever provider you choose.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 12