Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

AL21
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 have allowed my estranged family member to have a contract under my name. O2 have also willingly linked the accounts together and given my estranged family my personal home details. i have contacted the police, action fraud and now have a solicitor involved. O2 customer services have been rude and unwilling to help. Has anyone else had this issue or an issue similar before?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AL21 

O2 advice on fraud here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-advice

There is a dedicated fraud team which this needs escalating to.

Insist that customer service pass your case onto them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AL21 

O2 advice on fraud here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-advice

There is a dedicated fraud team which this needs escalating to.

Insist that customer service pass your case onto them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

AL21
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for that. it has been passed to the fraud team and they have estimated a 10 day turn around hence involving solicitors.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@AL21 

10 working days is the standard response time form O2.

Keep a record of all correspondence for your solicitor too.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I presume your estranged family had access to your personal details and it will take time for the fraud team to investigate. Try not to worry as they will sort it out for you and it shouldn't impact your credit file.

One thing you could do is possibly report that/those phones as lost/stolen which would stop them benefiting from their fraud. Or just be patient and see how the fraud team handle it when they get back to you.

Perhaps admin can feed back the attitude of the advisers who were rude to you.

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

One thing you could do is possibly report that/those phones as lost/stolen which would stop them benefiting from their fraud.

Good idea @jonsie . I wouldn't hesitate. It has been a type of theft after all. Identity theft. Also taking out a contract under false pretences!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Not wishing to upset the OP, but we're only hearing one side of the story. Were O2 aware that the OP was estranged from their family prior to all this happening? We don't know if this was done under false pretences or not. We also have no knowledge of the conversation between the OP and O2 customer service, so there's no way of knowing if the O2 representative was rude. I don't think we should be leaping to conclusions here.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 8

djbsuffolk
  • 140 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Report the phone as stolen so it can't be used - at least they can't benefit from the fraud. Have to agree with @Bambino there are always two sides to every story especially when family members are involved. 

Message 8 of 8