cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with O2 Signal and more disappointed with tech response

Anonymous
Not applicable

SO...

I've suffered silently for months with a signal issue in my work postcode SW1E5HJ. I have 3g intermittently up until around 1pm every day, then it drops out and I have no 3g at all, until a varying time each day when it goes back to being intermittent. This has only started happening recently, as I used to be able to make uninterupted viber/skype calls, but now it's a nightmare trying to get ANY signal let alone a usable one.

I've spoken to customer service, who didn't do much to help (the first time they just ended my chat session mid enquiry), the second time they passed me on to a tech guru, whos advice was interesting to say the least.

I was informed that the two NEAREST masts to me are 2G, this is why I get poor 3G connection, and their only advice to me about improving my 3G connection was to walk down the road. (not very helpful). They said that my particular postcode was a blackspot for 3g, regardless of what the coverage map says online, and that I could expect this to stay like that for the forseeable future. (Which I am confused by as it USED to work fine, but has deteriorated now)

I've been told they do not compensate for loss of service, and I've been told repeatedly that ther is NO issue in my area and my local masts are all fine. When I check on the status checker it usually says that my connection has no issues, it NEVER tells me that theres traffic on the masts etc. yet I still get signal drop out. at this specific time daily.

I'd grin and bear it, but my partner lives overseas and I rely on my data connection to keep in touch. I have had to regularly pay £80-90 phone bills just for the privilege of a two second phone call every day to say 'my data doesn't work' and that's it.

I've never really had an issue with o2 before, but this has just become ridiculous, and the tech guys seem to not care because it ONLY affects me in their eyes.

I'm running out of options really, and it looks like I'm going to have to jump ship for a new network, but just wondering what you guys think I can do?

Thanks in advance,

Jon 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Use​the complaint link at the foot of the page. You need to do this particularly if you looking to leave your contract without penalty. 

You can use Tugo for texts and calls over wifi if you have connection problems but this won't help with data. 

Until the upgrade rolls out to your area there is little else you can do other than as you say, change networks. 

Message 2 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I would get sim cards for the other networks and run some signal tests to see if you can get better.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been with o2 for about 4 years on a sim only plan. so my contract was up about 4 years ago grin

They didn't even hint at an upgrade on the phone, just said I had to accept it. 😞
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to do that now. Colleagues have EE and have good reception here so that's my first port of call
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

There is a currently reported issue at your postcode:

Live results for London, England, SW1E 5HJ

• Sorry we're currently investigating reports that a phone mast in this area isn't working.

This means you might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending / receiving emails.

Updated 13:30 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

Register for an update when this issue is resolved.
  •  
  •  
    Normal coverage for Voice, text and email (2G)
    Making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.
    Good indoors and outdoors.

•  
    Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)
    Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

•  
    Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (4G)
    Seamless connectivity and mobile internet.
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

Don’t get stuck for signal.
Download and connect to TUGo over any Wi-Fi connection to call, text and check your voicemail.
Get the app at www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

On a sim only then that's obviously the way forward. Vote with your feet and wallet, that's the sensible option. But use the P&G for a week, checking out your home, workplace and normal areas of travel.

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
"There is a currently reported issue at your postcode:

Live results for London, England, SW1E 5HJ"

Appreciated MI5, but this happens every day even when it says there is nothing wrong with the phone masts in my area.

I've checked that website every day when my signal disappears.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Understood mate - but it might mean they have had more reports and are now believing you.
Something must be wrong for your signal to have changed recently.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
as of yesterday they still weren't acknowledging it 😞

Also had an ongoing chat on twitter with them for a month or so about it and the same goes. "no issues showing" or "there's a mast down, must be that". All good though.

Just out of curiosity, does the S3 support dual sim then? (Saw your sig)
Message 10 of 12