cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between phone data and mobile broadband?

Jono987
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

I need 4g home broadband for the time being, i can order a sim only phone data plan with unlimited data, but when i swap to sim only 4g home broadband, i can only pick 50g?

Does any1 know the differences? Whats stopping me just buying the unlimited phone plan and sticking it in a router? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Jono987
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to add, i can also upgrade my current phone for free, and for an extra £20 a month, get an S20 + and unlimited data!

What is stopping me hotspotting my phone in the house and not having to worry about data limits?

The max i can get on the netgear is 150GB! Surely they can do better than that for a so called dedicated broadband replacement?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Jono987 

O2 will block any phone sim cards if used in mifi or broadband devices.

They only allow the use of data sims.

You can, however, use your phone as a hotspot without restrictions.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Jono987
  • 12 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks! So thats why they have the different options.

So it makes sense just to upgrade my phone, get unlimited data and a brand new phone? grin 

Bit disapointed in there low 150gb a month limit, the netgear looks like a great bit of kit and the ethernet port would have been handy 😞

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
New phone makes sense to me wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5