cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

To all you legal people out there...

Having had o2 for a few years (since 2008) for home phone line and mobile phone - last Christmas (2012) I changed my Home Broadband from o2 standard to o2 unlimited as I wanted to make use of the Sky On Demand service through my router and thinking I'd stick with o2 I opted for the year contract option. After several attempts at getting the broadband working without succes after a lot of frustration I replaced the o2 router with another product and got Sky On Demand working.

I got a letter from o2 (25th February 2013) stating that all my home phone broadband would be moving to Sky, and not ot worry all would be well. At this time Sky were offering 6 months free broadband to sign up by end of March 2o13.

So I'd already moved my smart phone - bought and paid for now out of contract to pay as you go with another provider for a fraction of the costs o2 wanted £10.80 per month.

So I took up Skys offer and moved my Home Phone and Broadband..

I have recieved a letter I'm in breach of contract for the o2 anytime broadband -I changed at Christmas. Hence I'm expected to pay for a broadband service I will not be using - approx  9 months to go.

To the point:

Have I broken the contract? Or did o2? By their letter stating I would be placed in the hands of Sky sometime soon...

Thanks for reading...

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

No.  I disagree, the terms of the contract changed... o2 decided they wanted to 'dump' dedicated customers, in favour of going after 4G, in other words, do what they want...

o2 have broken the contract, and I'm sure Trading Standards would agree, irrespective of any small print...

They broke the contract... Simple.

Not that simple, I suggest you read the contract that you agreed to.

Nobody has changed your contract except you, so you have broken the contract and will have to pay for it.

How can they have done anything when the deal with Sky isn't approved yet, you have jumped the gun I'm afraid?

Should you not pay O2 will have your credit marked down and pass the bill to a debt collection company.

All the relevant information available from O2 on this is here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/broadbandchanges

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94030 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You could argue that one out but in essence you have broken the contract you signed for 12 months. Yes O2 are selling to Sky but you had a continuance of service.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your comment.

Not being a legal person.. Surely My Contract was with o2 and despite continuance of service that would be the same on any change over between suppliers.

I did not choose to move away from o2 they chose to move away from me..

Message 3 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

How can that be right, it is you who decided to move to Sky?

You should have asked here for advice on that and you are liable for the balance of your O2 contract.

There are provisions in your contract for O2 to use another supplier if they so wish.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  I disagree, the terms of the contract changed... o2 decided they wanted to 'dump' dedicated customers, in favour of going after 4G, in other words, do what they want...

If I bought a new car and the car was on contract with the main dealer  I bought it from to service it over the next 3 years, and then they said part way in that it was now going to be serviced by another company, then the original agreement is broken.

You cannot have it both ways...

o2 have broken the contract, and I'm sure Trading Standards would agree, irrespective of any small print... Why would I have bought my own router to get Sky On Demand working if I hadn't intend to keep the contract? Why did I not choose the monthly pay as you go contract? Because I've been with o2 since 2008.

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94030 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Like I said, you could argue the case. However the changeover is not yet complete and as far as I know it hasn't officially been sanctioned. The original contract would carry on with no change of terms so at this moment in time your arguement would be void. O2 have not breached their contract or supply of service.

Message 6 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

o2 have broken the contract, and I'm sure Trading Standards would agree, irrespective of any small print...

Not that simple, I suggest you read the contract that you agreed to.

Nobody has changed your contract except you, so you have broken the contract and will have to pay for it.

How can they have done anything when the deal with Sky isn't approved yet, you have jumped the gun I'm afraid?

Should you not pay O2 will have your credit marked down and pass the bill to a debt collection company.

All the relevant information available from O2 on this is here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/broadbandchanges

Message 7 of 7