Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic

StupidQuestion
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a classic 1-2-3 PAYG for about 3 years, in that time I've only used around £12-£13 credit.  I have recently heard of someone being cut off for not topping up within 6 months, and am getting a bit twitchy about possibly losing my number. Can anyone confirm if making occasional calls is still enough to keep my sim active?  Or will my next topup somehow trigger this "new" t&c of having to top up every 6 months?

(I last topped up sometime in 2020, and my phone is still working so far!)

TIA

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
  • 149952 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@StupidQuestion wrote:

As MI5 says, the tariff I'm on is no longer available.  If it's any help, I believe Asda mobile still do an old-style PAYG, although the call rates aren't as cheap but if it's only for very occasional use that probably doesn't matter too much.

Just checked and yes, they do. Runs on Vodafone and rates not bad at all for occasional use (just don't use data !).

Pay as you go SIM Cards | Free PAYG SIM | Asda mobile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 21 of 28

modestman
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5

Can I ask for your thoughts on the following?

O2 online (https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go) states that you have to top up with £10 or purchase a bolt on to keep it active. I called their CS earlier, and they repeated the same mantra, although when I asked if a £2 International Monthly bolt on would qualify, he wasn't so sure, but eventually said it would be, but was very unconvincing....  

Classic Pay As You Go

With Classic Pay As You Go, you pay for what you use, as you go. The minimum top up requirement is £10.

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number.

Message 22 of 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149952 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@modestman 

Your monthly bolt on will definitely qualify to keep your sim alive.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 23 of 28

Raynox
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You appear to be giving wrong and misleading advice to the questioner. First, you and some others here stated that they should disregard the warning by o2 that the Classic PAYG will be disconnected and they will lose their number if not topped up or added a Bolt On at least once in any six month period. However when the questioner now stated that they personally called o2 and o2 confirmed the same thing that they must top up or be disconnected, you simply replied that ''Your monthly bolt on will definitely qualify to keep your sim alive.'' while you are not able to dispute what the o2 CS said.

I am surprised that you want people to believe your ''opinion'' rather than what was stated in black and white by o2 on its website and further confirmed by their CS in person!

Message 24 of 28

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38800 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

@Raynox wrote:

You appear to be giving wrong and misleading advice to the questioner. First, you and some others here stated that they should disregard the warning by o2 that the Classic PAYG will be disconnected and they will lose their number if not topped up or added a Bolt On at least once in any six month period. However when the questioner now stated that they personally called o2 and o2 confirmed the same thing that they must top up or be disconnected, you simply replied that ''Your monthly bolt on will definitely qualify to keep your sim alive.'' while you are not able to dispute what the o2 CS said.

I am surprised that you want people to believe your ''opinion'' rather than what was stated in black and white by o2 on its website and further confirmed by their CS in person!

PAYG Classic is a Legacy Product, as can be seen from where the Ts&Cs reside on the O2 website:

1000009531.png

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/mobile/classic-pay-as-you-go-terms-and-conditions

This is an oldish thread, what exactly is your question, @Raynox?

Message 25 of 28

Raynox
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The tariff is still available through third-party resellers.

Message 26 of 28

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38800 Posts
  • 243 Topics
  • 1743 Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149952 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28564 Solutions

@Raynox wrote:

The tariff is still available through third-party resellers.

@Raynox 

Whilst they may still be available they will be old left overs and will have an activate expiry date. Probably well past by now.

If your original post above was aimed at me ? you need to address me and ask a specific question rather than have a dig at me regarding something you clearly don't understand..

Message 28 of 28