cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - never used a smartphone before

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am an elderly lady and going on a cruise and the internet is ridiculously expensive.  So I have bought an O2 PAYGO smartphone which I hope to use when we are in port, but still on board the ship.

I want  to use it to check emails etc.  This is apparently 5p per mb and a friend says that lasts for ages.  

I believe there are no roaming charges anymore as we will be within the EEC. 

When I use the internet at 5p per mb that isn't on top of the 5p per minute is it?

Someone mentioned that I should switch off updates to only be done when on wifi.  Is that right and how do I do it?

Do I need to keep the phone switched off when we are at sea?

Will it matter that O2 says it can't guarantee 4G abroad (whatever that means!).

Are there any other pitfalls?

Thanks to anyone who can help me wade through the perils of the smarphone! 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks everyone- BUT WE DON'T GET OFF THE SHIP!!!

Then you will incur charges as soon as the phone is switched on unless you have mobile data turned off @Anonymous

We have attempted to give you the best advice available. You may be better placed to ring the cruise ship company and ask for a list of their charges...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Leave your phone at home and just enjoy the break.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - have a Hudl which is android, so I have ordered a MotoG5 - gets good reviews - but specifically to pick up emails whilst on board when in port!

As long as I wait until about 11.00 am, I think the ship should have switched off the satellite thingy by then.  If I go ahead with this 'phone, I will go and see the IT person on board and get advice.

However, quite happy with my little clamshell 'phone - will be buying the smartythingy specifically to pick up emails when in port on board the ship!

Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

£12 per day for 26 days!

That's why I am buying a 'phone to just use in port for emails.

I thought if I switched it off and only switched on when in port, I would be OK.

Why would I switch off all these mysterious things before I go, when they are what I want in port when I switch it on?

Beginning to think its not going to do the job I want it to do!!  Too much tech for moi methinks!!yahoo

Message 14 of 14