cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - never used a smartphone before

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am an elderly lady and going on a cruise and the internet is ridiculously expensive.  So I have bought an O2 PAYGO smartphone which I hope to use when we are in port, but still on board the ship.

I want  to use it to check emails etc.  This is apparently 5p per mb and a friend says that lasts for ages.  

I believe there are no roaming charges anymore as we will be within the EEC. 

When I use the internet at 5p per mb that isn't on top of the 5p per minute is it?

Someone mentioned that I should switch off updates to only be done when on wifi.  Is that right and how do I do it?

Do I need to keep the phone switched off when we are at sea?

Will it matter that O2 says it can't guarantee 4G abroad (whatever that means!).

Are there any other pitfalls?

Thanks to anyone who can help me wade through the perils of the smarphone! 

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous The costs on any cruise ships are extortionate. You should get a text about charges but if you don't, be advised not to use your phone when aboard.

Wait till you land and try to use Wifi to make use of calls and texts.

If you check this thread and scroll down to look for info about cruise ships you will see how costly they can be

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

Personally I would keep my phone turned off when on board.

Also O2 has no 4G roaming agreements with any country apart from Germany....

Also please read this guide posted by one of our members @darrengf.. It gives a good explanation of costs and pitfalls when on a cruise https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous The costs on any cruise ships are extortionate. You should get a text about charges but if you don't, be advised not to use your phone when aboard.

Wait till you land and try to use Wifi to make use of calls and texts.

If you check this thread and scroll down to look for info about cruise ships you will see how costly they can be

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

Personally I would keep my phone turned off when on board.

Also O2 has no 4G roaming agreements with any country apart from Germany....

Also please read this guide posted by one of our members @darrengf.. It gives a good explanation of costs and pitfalls when on a cruise https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/ba-p/1058892

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes good advice, don't switch your phone on on board as you will connect with the ship's network and the charges are crippling.

Get safely away from the ship at the ports of call and use your phone as you would at home. Be careful if you are going anywhere near Greece. Automatically selection of network could possibly have you connecting to Turkey or Cyprus and charges. Set your network selection to manual.

Next, have a wonderful cruise around EUROPE  😉😀

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup- will keep it switched off.

I am buying this SPECIFICALLY to use on board WHEN IN PORT as we don't get off the ship at all.  The ship itself is our destination!!  At £12 per day for internet, I thought this might help me clear my emails every few days at a reasonable cost.

Trying to decide whether this is a good move and will let me check my emails when in port.

What would you do?

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading all the links - and losing the will to liveweary

I thought once the ship reaches port they switch off their satellite and then your 'phone finds O2.

If O2 doesn't come up, then I wouldn't do anything.  Or is this too simplistic?

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I would go for it. It doesn't have to be the latest all singing all dancing smart phone at all just a midrange price. 

I'm 67 and got my first smartphone at 59. Although I love android phones I have to admit my first real smartphone was an iPhone. 

Sad to admit it but I think something like an iPhone 5s or 6 will be easier to use for a first time. 

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Once you are off the ship and if you are still in Europe then you won't be charged. @Anonymous

You are using your allowances as if you were at home https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

O2 won't come up, you should be connected to a network of the country you are in. Get well away from the ship and into town, don't be switching the phone on as soon as you set foot on land. There will be other cruise ships in port too. Some require you sign in which is a good idea. Some don't, which is expensive. 

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone- BUT WE DON'T GET OFF THE SHIP!!!
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Then make sure you switch off Mobile Data and data roaming if you need to switch your phone on then there will be no possibility of changes. Do this before getting on board. 

You then have the option of using the ship's WiFi for email and the costs should be laid out in the cabin and the charges should be added to your on board bill. From what I remember those charges are reasonable.  

Message 10 of 14