cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tech: this wow'd me today

Anonymous
Not applicable

needed a taxi to bring home my new 4 month old kitten from a town near to me, but not one I had any taxi cards for

the RSPCA cat foster carer looked on her kitchen notice board & found a card for another nearby town taxi service ..... I rang & booked it asap to take the delighted but apprehensive me & distressed little kitten to my home - I'd had a text, mobile number displayed only, whilst doing the necessary paperwork & befriending myself to Dancer = the said little kitten, woefully needed for my depressed cat Marty ..... didn't open text until I got home & settled Dancer in my living room as best I could - away from my Marty who just ran out when I opened the outside door to my property ..... I then thought to check the text & here is where I had a TECH WOW moment ..... = ..... it was from the taxi firm unfamiliar to me, it said my driver had arrived at such-&-such address of cas foster woman, said what vehicle is was ie a Mercedes something Sprinter if I remember rightly (it seated 9 + driver btw) (Dancer & me travelled home in style), gave me cost, & thanked me for using the named taxi firm

driver had asked me if I minded if he filled up the tank with diesel, as his vehicle needed juice, I thought here we go Jane gets taken for a schmuck again - remember I hadn't read text yet ..... when in a taxi I like to chat with the driver & this bloke was nice, he told me he had 5 kids! ..... but he already had filled up his superior vehicle's tank once this morning ..... he was seriously thinking of getting a smaller vehicle - yep I'd say he'd put more money on the table - but, but, but after all I've said above, driver said in response to my question what do I owe you = what do you usually pay wink

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is amazing how these taxi firms keep you in the loop nowadays. Some you can follow on a map on smartphones too.

Nice to hear you have a new edition to the family Jane.
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I use the same taxi firm near me whenever I go out to friends or the pub or sometimes even just shopping in town. They all know me and recognise my number when I call. all the drivers ask how much I normally pay and it makes for a good feeling that you aren't being ripped off.

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi jonsie = interesting how the same question asked by regular taxi firm you use is used in a nice way ..... in my town I too always the same taxi firm eg they know me, particularly for going to & from the vets, coming home from my best friend's house & occassionally home from my local, I most usually walk home along the canal towpath & text my drinking buddy when I've got in, dumped my stuff & sorted the cat out ..... = ..... I do nothing in a hurry these days ..... when using my particular taxi firm I sit in the front with the driver, the red digital fare display is in the centre of the dashboard, which I can see & I always round up the fare to the nearest fiver btw I always mention I use 'Bloggs' taxis when booking a taxi be it by phone or walking into their office, just off the town centre

it's when I don't see a red fare display machine I know what's coming at the end of the journey & so it was with the return taxi firm = I used a local firm as I could as to get my taxi firm out from Skipton to where I then was would have cost much more in time & Dancer my new white/black kitten was, as expected showing signs of distress, as only cats can, by that heart wrenching loud particular me-ow they have ..... so, interesting your experience of the same question as I ask to unfamiliar to me taxi firms slight_smile

Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi Jane

Glad to hear you got Dancer home in style today. (though I don't suppose he was bothered what he travelled in...he would have just wanted to be out of the cat box) wink

It's rare I use taxi's now but if I need one it is the same company. All I ever ask with taxis is that they are punctual. I can't be doing with them being late and when you ring to see where they are, the stock answer is 'just round the corner...should be with you in 2 minutes'...Mmmmm...Evil.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jane,

I use Uber, it is very popular in London, it has many advantages: you can track if the driver is following the right path, you can see a pic of the driver and vehicle before they pick you up and your fare is automatically charge to your credit card ...

Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Jane,

I use Uber, it is very popular in London, it has many advantages: you can track if the driver is following the right path, you can see a pic of the driver and vehicle before they pick you up and your fare is automatically charge to your credit card ...

Now that sounds brilliant @Anonymous  When I go to London I use try to use taxi's to get about as I am not keen on the underground. So Uber seems to cover everything you need...Thanks  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks MarinaP & Cleoriff

I have heard of Uber ..... not sure how it works though ..... & ..... if any taxi's in my traditional Yorkshire market town would have that kind of thing ..... the taxi I referred to, was from a firm unfamiliar to me in a nearby town ..... certainly the taxi firm I use in Skipton do not have that kind of tech ..... & ..... there are a lorra lorra taxi drivers in the town = 2 ranks in town centre + 1 at the station + several taxi offices in town indeed the 1 taxi firm I use is just off the town centre within easy walking distance & you can generally get a taxi straightaway ..... 'sending it now' is the term used when I've rung up for a taxi 'now' like ..... but ..... I'm not known for my patience, but I do give them 10-15 minutes leeway time as the traffic in town is vast becomming a bottle-neck, particularly at morning rush hour to work/school + school chucking-out time + evening rush hour

last time I was in London was about 20 years ago & though my & my son's train ticket included getting from Kings Cross to Charing Cross using the underground = well I chickened out & got a London cab = don't like the underground as too claustrophobic for me really = how do the regular commuters put up with it, paying for the priviledge, like battery chickens stuffed into cages Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

how do the regular commuters put up with it, paying for the priviledge, like battery chickens stuffed into cages Smiley Frustrated

At least they aren't sheep @Anonymous 

Mwhahahaha. LOL....Sorry lass, I couldn't resist that  Hug

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

how do the regular commuters put up with it, paying for the priviledge, like battery chickens stuffed into cages Smiley Frustrated

At least they aren't sheep @Anonymous 

Mwhahahaha. LOL....Sorry lass, I couldn't resist that  Hug

LOL

Message 10 of 11