Winter time!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

AdventCalendar.png

Hi everyone, 

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 15.10.41.pngWinter time in the UK can be a miserable affair with Near perpetual darkness, wind, sideways rain and damp feet. expressionless

It can be a bit of a grind getting through the long, dark months so we'd love to hear your tips and tricks for coping with the winter! 

So, what are your coping methods for the winter? Do you have any routines that get you through? What time of year do you click the heating on or do you quite enjoy the winter like me? astonished 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Yes I've heard that flapjack seems to be a common ailment for both men and women bikers see_no_evil

Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only for the uninitiated  😉

Message 12 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I have a similar rule on the heating @Anonymous! December 1st is the earliest it will go on! 

Agreed @Cleoriff the best shows do seem to come out in the Autumn/Winter time. Great to have a good binge on a show when the weather is not great. 

@davethorp A smart thermostat sounds really useful! I currently have an old school timer which is usually fine but useless if I have a last minute change of plans.

@TallTrees@welshsteve76 personally I don't mind the bad weather. I always wrap up super warm! The only thing that annoys me is when I get wet feet on the way into the office and have to sit like that all day. Apart from that I'm fine with the wind and rain. 

@Glory1 You must be relieved that Winter is finally here after long hot summer we had! 

@Anonymous It sounds like you have some solid coping plans for Winter! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 13 of 26

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Martin-O2 I'm delighted winter is here, especially after the summer we had. I'm just not good with hot, sticky weather it makes me ill. And it's not just age, I was always this way. At least when I lived in New York everywhere you went was air conditioned, even the buses and subway trains; the subway station itself was hell!

I can cope in cold weather I just wrap up warm and have the heater on. What I don't much care for is the grey miserable winter days, depressing, but I'll take them any day over the heat we had this summer.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 14 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I totally agree with you @Glory1. You can always add another layer of clothing if cold but you can only remove so much during the hot summer! 

signature

Message 15 of 26

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

I totally agree with you @Glory1. You can always add another layer of clothing if cold but you can only remove so much during the hot summer! 

Well it does depend where you are @Martin-O2 as to how much you can remove. At home, with curtains drawn, I can be naked joy It just doesn't help when the humidity is high!!

Message 16 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

I hate Winter! Autumn & Spring I can stand but this season the thermostat goes up to 25°C and the heating comes on twice in the morning, once in the afternoon and twice in the evening. Sometimes my dressing gown and slipper with cups of hot chocolate!!

Message 17 of 26

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Oh I realise I'm strange @jonsie. Most people ĺove summer, hot sun etc. But, as I say it makes me ill when it's humid. I can take a dry heat, no problem. I was in Israel in July and temps were in the 90s. But it was comfortable because there was no humidity. Trouble is London, like New York, doesn't have a dry heat. When the temp rises so does the humidity, which is what kills me. There it is. I wish I could be like other people and enjoy the heat. Life would be a lot easier that's for sure.

Message 18 of 26

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

You're 100% right @Glory1 you can do what what you like in your own home! I was thinking more in public like on the bus or something. joy

@jonsie Sounds like your heating schedule is all worked out! I have it on for a few hours in the morning during the time I get up then it comes on an hour before I usually get back from work so the place is nice and toasty when I arrive home. smiling

signature

Message 19 of 26

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

You're 100% right @Glory1 you can do what what you like in your own home! I was thinking more in public like on the bus or something. joy

Yes being naked on a bus is definitely not a good look @Martin-O2. There are too many bodies, my own included thst need covering in public. Was never keen on public nudity with my body. Wouldn't want to terrify the public LOL 

Message 20 of 26