• 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT   is

@RyanK1992 

The six questions are:

Q1 [people]: Who was the world`s first female Prime Minister?

Q2 [geography]: Where is Dogger Bank?

Q3 [space]: Which is the hottest planet in our Solar System (not counting the Sun)? 

Q4 [sport]: In which event did Daley Thompson win a gold medal in 1980 and 1984 Olympics?

Q5 [words]: What does a fromologist collect?

Q6 [TV sit-com]: What were the [character] names of Gary Sparrow`s two wives in TV sit-com Goodnight Sweetheart?

Hint: as usual one question is a QI-style question, where the answer is not what most people think.

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several posts; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 21 November 2019. Please note: a second answer to any question cannot be given in these subsequent posts. 

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 on Thursday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 21 November [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 22 November 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

The White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members.

Last week, previous contestants - @Cleoriff and @pgn - and members - @gmarkj ; @EmilieT ; @Anonymous ; @jonsie and @Anonymous played along. Hopefully, they and last week`s contestant @Sy - and any new  

members and those who have not played before, will join in and play along by  making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread. You will be able to see how well you did when I give the correct answers late Thursday or Friday morning.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @RyanK1992 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Hmm. 4, possibly. 

Rodney's puttin' me off LOL

Message 11 of 24

RyanK1992
Level 4: Observant
  • 90 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ahh this one is annoying for me ; I can remember covering this in history at school. I cannot recall her name. I am more than sure it was in Sri Lanka though!!

I believe this is in the North Sea! Very popular fishing spot too

Q3 [space]: Which is the hottest planet in our Solar System (not counting the Sun)? 

Venus

Q4 [sport]: In which event did Daley Thompson win a gold medal in 1980 and 1984 Olympics?

Decathalon

I'm going to take a guess with this one. Fromage is the french word for cheese so I'm going to go with collecting different cheese.

Q6 [TV sit-com]: What were the [character] names of Gary Sparrow`s two wives in TV sit-com Goodnight Sweetheart?

My absolutely favourite sitcom of all time! His wives were Yvonne (present day) and Pheobe was his wife back in the war!

iPhone 11 PRODUCT RED
Apple Watch Series 4
Message 12 of 24

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Results:

Here are the answers given by @RyanK1992 

A1. Ahh this one is annoying for me ; I can remember covering this in history at school. I cannot recall her name. I am more than sure it was in Sri Lanka though!!

- correct answer is Sirimavo Bandaranke of Ceylon [now Sri Lanka], Prime Minister 1960-65; 1970-77 - but as you knew the country, I`ll be generous and award half a star

A2 I believe this is in the North Sea! Very popular fishing spot too

- correct = awarded star

A3 Venus

- correct = awarded star this was the QI-style question. Most people assume the answer is Mercury as it nearest to the sun. 

A4 Decathalon

- correct = awarded star

A5 I'm going to take a guess with this one. Fromage is the french word for cheese so I'm going to go with collecting different cheese.

- correct answer is cheese labels - but as you came very close, I will award half a star.

A6 My absolutely favourite sitcom of all time! His wives were Yvonne (present day) and Pheobe was his wife back in the war!

- correct answer = awarded star

You got four questions absolutely right and came close with the other two and are awarded a total of 5 stars =

star star star star plus two half stars. Well done @RyanK1992 .

How did those playing along get on with these questions? Did you get as many right as you thought? Which ones, if any, caught you out this week? Your feedback and comments are welcome. Thank you to all those who played along and, again, congratulations to @RyanK1992 on your first go at the White Room Thursday Quiz. 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 13 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I did ok though I had to ask Stan Collymore where Dogging Bank was... 😂 

Message 14 of 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I did ok but like @RyanK1992  would have struggled with the NAME of the first female PM.

TBH, I think everyone would. Let's face it, the name Sirimavo Bandaranke never really deserves a place in your memory bank does it?rofl

Well done @RyanK1992 thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done @RyanK1992 

I got 3 correct 

Message 16 of 24

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Good to know you did well @jonsie [with a little help joy]

I admit the Prime Minister one was tricky @Cleoriff but hope you did OK with the other questions.

Well done @Anonymous getting three questions right - which were they and did any trip you up [I`m just curious]? 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Mi-Amigo 

I got the following correct

Dogger Bank

Venus

Decathlon

I had thought Indira Ghandi was maybe the first female prime minister

Message 18 of 24

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Dogger Bank in North Sea, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, the Cheese collector (didn't know it was labels only), Venus the hottest planet and Ms. Banderanaike from Ceylon (although you nearly got some lady from the Tuvan People's Republic, as I thought it was a QI-style question!).

Rodney stumped me - never watched it.

Well done, @RyanK1992

Message 19 of 24

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks everyone for the feedback and for playing along with this week`s White Room Thursday Quiz.

Over the weekend I`ll be choosing the six questions for next week`s White Room Thursday Quiz [on 28 November], with one question from each of the following categories:

People; Events; Nature; Games; Literature; Music

As usual, there will be one QI-style question, where the answer is not what most people assume is right.

I hope that all the regulars [those who have been a contestant - inc @Cleoriff ; @pgn ; @gmarkj ;

@Sy ; @RyanK1992; - and those who have played along - inc @jonsie ; @Anonymous ; @EmilieT [even though she has left]; @Anonymous ] will take part... 

The White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members. So if you are a new member or have not put your name forward and would like to be a contestant, please pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - your name and I`ll add it to the list for the draw, which will be made by @Marjo next week.

You can, of course, choose to come and play along with others at the time by making their own list of answers and then checking how many you got right when I give the results. 

Thank you everyone for your continued interest in the quiz... Bow

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 20 of 24