Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Topics: 101
Ideas: 2

Re: The White Room Thursday Quiz - 21 November 2019

Hmm. 4, possibly. 

Rodney's puttin' me off LOL

And then there’s pig ignorance – the genuine hallmarked, unadulterated, slack-jawed, open-mouthed, village idiot variety... Fintan O'Toole, Nov-2018.
Topics: 3

Q1 [people]: Who was the world`s first female Prime Minister?

Ahh this one is annoying for me ; I can remember covering this in history at school. I cannot recall her name. I am more than sure it was in Sri Lanka though!!

Q2 [geography]: Where is Dogger Bank?

I believe this is in the North Sea! Very popular fishing spot too

Q3 [space]: Which is the hottest planet in our Solar System (not counting the Sun)? 

Venus

Q4 [sport]: In which event did Daley Thompson win a gold medal in 1980 and 1984 Olympics?

Decathalon

Q5 [words]: What does a fromologist collect?

I'm going to take a guess with this one. Fromage is the french word for cheese so I'm going to go with collecting different cheese.

Q6 [TV sit-com]: What were the [character] names of Gary Sparrow`s two wives in TV sit-com Goodnight Sweetheart?

My absolutely favourite sitcom of all time! His wives were Yvonne (present day) and Pheobe was his wife back in the war!

Samsung Galaxy S10
o2 Refresh 40gb
Samsung Galaxy Watch Active
Topics: 132

[ Edited ]

Results:

Here are the answers given by @RyanK1992 

Q1 [people]: Who was the world`s first female Prime Minister?

A1. Ahh this one is annoying for me ; I can remember covering this in history at school. I cannot recall her name. I am more than sure it was in Sri Lanka though!!

- correct answer is Sirimavo Bandaranke of Ceylon [now Sri Lanka], Prime Minister 1960-65; 1970-77 - but as you knew the country, I`ll be generous and award half a star

Q2 [geography]: Where is Dogger Bank?

A2 I believe this is in the North Sea! Very popular fishing spot too

- correct = awarded star

Q3 [space]: Which is the hottest planet in our Solar System (not counting the Sun)? 

A3 Venus

- correct = awarded star this was the QI-style question. Most people assume the answer is Mercury as it nearest to the sun. 

Q4 [sport]: In which event did Daley Thompson win a gold medal in 1980 and 1984 Olympics?

A4 Decathalon

- correct = awarded star

Q5 [words]: What does a fromologist collect?

A5 I'm going to take a guess with this one. Fromage is the french word for cheese so I'm going to go with collecting different cheese.

- correct answer is cheese labels - but as you came very close, I will award half a star.

Q6 [TV sit-com]: What were the [character] names of Gary Sparrow`s two wives in TV sit-com Goodnight Sweetheart?

A6 My absolutely favourite sitcom of all time! His wives were Yvonne (present day) and Pheobe was his wife back in the war!

- correct answer = awarded star

You got four questions absolutely right and came close with the other two and are awarded a total of 5 stars =

star star star star plus two half stars. Well done @RyanK1992 .

How did those playing along get on with these questions? Did you get as many right as you thought? Which ones, if any, caught you out this week? Your feedback and comments are welcome. Thank you to all those who played along and, again, congratulations to @RyanK1992 on your first go at the White Room Thursday Quiz. 

animated-elephant-image-0278
Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"...
Robert Kennedy.

Topics: 549

I did ok though I had to ask Stan Collymore where Dogging Bank was... 😂 

Topics: 695

I did ok but like @RyanK1992  would have struggled with the NAME of the first female PM.

TBH, I think everyone would. Let's face it, the name Sirimavo Bandaranke never really deserves a place in your memory bank does it?rofl

Well done @RyanK1992 thumbsup

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 259

Well done @RyanK1992 

I got 3 correct 

*possum si vollo* *per ardua ad astra*

I don't work for O2
Xperia L1 - The Android Army Marches Onwards
Acer Aspire 5750 laptop
Unlimited Sky Broadband
MI6 - Commander Jane TOP SECRET - Status 00 Licensed To Type - HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE + pic of a very young Lois Maxwell (have mug to prove it) - Promotion tbc to Data Entry

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Good to know you did well @jonsie [with a little help joy]

I admit the Prime Minister one was tricky @Cleoriff but hope you did OK with the other questions.

Well done @WispaRed7 getting three questions right - which were they and did any trip you up [I`m just curious]? 

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"...
Robert Kennedy.

Topics: 259

Hello @Mi-Amigo 

I got the following correct

Dogger Bank

Venus

Decathlon

I had thought Indira Ghandi was maybe the first female prime minister

*possum si vollo* *per ardua ad astra*

I don't work for O2
Xperia L1 - The Android Army Marches Onwards
Acer Aspire 5750 laptop
Unlimited Sky Broadband
MI6 - Commander Jane TOP SECRET - Status 00 Licensed To Type - HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE + pic of a very young Lois Maxwell (have mug to prove it) - Promotion tbc to Data Entry
Topics: 101
Ideas: 2

Dogger Bank in North Sea, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, the Cheese collector (didn't know it was labels only), Venus the hottest planet and Ms. Banderanaike from Ceylon (although you nearly got some lady from the Tuvan People's Republic, as I thought it was a QI-style question!).

Rodney stumped me - never watched it.

Well done, @RyanK1992

And then there’s pig ignorance – the genuine hallmarked, unadulterated, slack-jawed, open-mouthed, village idiot variety... Fintan O'Toole, Nov-2018.

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for the feedback and for playing along with this week`s White Room Thursday Quiz.

Over the weekend I`ll be choosing the six questions for next week`s White Room Thursday Quiz [on 28 November], with one question from each of the following categories:

People; Events; Nature; Games; Literature; Music

As usual, there will be one QI-style question, where the answer is not what most people assume is right.

I hope that all the regulars [those who have been a contestant - inc @Cleoriff ; @pgn ; @gmarkj ;

@Sy ; @RyanK1992; - and those who have played along - inc @jonsie ; @WispaRed7 ; @EmilieT [even though she has left]; @OldFart ] will take part... 

The White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members. So if you are a new member or have not put your name forward and would like to be a contestant, please pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - your name and I`ll add it to the list for the draw, which will be made by @Marjo next week.

You can, of course, choose to come and play along with others at the time by making their own list of answers and then checking how many you got right when I give the results. 

Thank you everyone for your continued interest in the quiz... Bow

Robert Kennedy.