Did you mean: 

The White Room Thursday Quiz - 20 February 2020

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25332 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Each week, there are EIGHT questions, from a range of categories.

THIS WEEK`S EIGHT QUESTIONS

Q1 [history]: Which King won the Battle of Spurs in 1513?

Q2 [geography]: Which is the longest motorway in the UK?

Q3 [science]: Which disease is varicella the medical name for?

Q4 [space]: What was the name of the spacecraft in which John Glenn made three orbits of the Earth in February 1962?

Q5 [words]: What is the frigophobia the fear of?

Q6 [games]: What number is between 6 and 15 on a standard dartboard?

Q7 [music]: Which instrument has dampers, hammers and strings?

Q8 [events]: In which country is the annual World Wife-Carrying Championship held ? 

The White Room Thursday Quiz will be open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part will need to pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 20 February 2020.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and the results for each player taking part - will be posted on Friday morning.

Each member will be awarded star for each correct answer. In addition, each member who gives

EIGHT correct answers               SIX correct answers                     FOUR correct answers

will be awarded                       will be awarded                          will be awarded

silver-thinker.jpg                 bronze-thinker-crop.jpg                        red-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER                     BRONZE THINKER                             RED THINKER

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow - on Thursday 20 February 2020.

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received before 00.01 on Thursday and/or after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

With, what I have tried to make to be a fair balance of easier and trickier questions, I hope those who have taken part in a previous White Room Thursday Quiz will take part, and that new members, and those who have not previously played, will join in.

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

, and, if you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest.

I hope everyone enjoys this edition of the White Room Thursday Quiz.

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

I've just queried it as well via PM @pgn. I thought it was Mercury.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25332 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS

[in order pm received]

@Cleoriff 

A1 correct - awarded star ; A2 correct - awarded star ; A3 correct - awarded star ;

A4 correct - awarded star ; A5 correct - awarded star ; A6 correct - awarded star ;

A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 correct - awarded star - plus, for all eight correct answers awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

@gmarkj 

A1 Harold - incorrect; A2 correct - awarded star ; A3 correct - awarded star ; A4 Apollo 2 - incorrect;

A5 correct - awarded star ; A6 18 - incorrect ; A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 correct - awarded star

plus for 5 correct answers awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@MI5 

A1 correct - awarded star ; A2 correct - awarded star ; A3 correct - awarded star ;

A4 correct - awarded star ; A5 correct - awarded star ; A6 correct - awarded star ;

A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 correct - awarded star - plus, for all eight correct answers awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

@Anonymous 

A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 Russia - incorrect; plus for seven correct answers, also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

@pgn 

A1 Ledley King  [Spurs footballer joy] - incorrect; 

A2 correct - awarded star ; A3 correct - awarded star ;

A4 Mercury 13 - correct;

A5 correct - awarded star ; A6 correct - awarded star ;

A7 correct - awarded star ; A8 correct - awarded star - plus, for 7 correct answers awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

@jonsie 

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

This week, all six players received an award - congratulations to all of you:

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker:  @Cleoriff ; @MI5 ; @jonsie 

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker + 1 star @Anonymous ;  @pgn 

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker: @gmarkj 

I hope you all enjoyed playing and you, and new members, and those who have not played before, will come and have a go at next week`s White Room Thursday Quiz.

Over the weekend, I will choose eight questions - one from each of the following categories

People; Places; Science; Literature; Sport; Television; Art; Food & Drink

Also look out for an Advanced Notice on Monday of a forthcoming surprise....  

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 32 of 42

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Stellar feedback, as ever LOL

Message 33 of 42

MI5
  • 146286 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28161 Solutions

Thank you @Mi-Amigo 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 34 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Stellar feedback, as ever LOL

Yes but I also put Friendship7 as Glenn called it that. I've seen the replica at the Kennedy Space Centre...lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25332 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn and @Cleoriff 

To explain, when I was researching the question, I found the answer "Friendship 7", which I assumed would be the answer given, but realised this was the name given by Glenn. My source gave this spacecraft as Gemini, but, on checking NASA info, find that Mercury is given.

Apologies and I have adjusted @pgn `s score and award. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 36 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

Thanks for that @Mi-Amigo and for arranging the quiz.

Well done everyone. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 42

pgn
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

Woohoo, thanks, @Mi-Amigo for another good quiz, even for throwing in a Spurs question 🤣

Thanks @Cleoriff too for jumping on the Gemini thing, coincidence that my NASA feed on Twitter dropped the answer in my lap later the same afternoon AFTER I had said it was Mercury 13 on what they call Mercury-Atlas 7 (Atlas was the launch component, I imagine).

Out of this world answers from everyone this week, Thinkers all-round Thanks!

Message 38 of 42

Mi-Amigo
  • 25332 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all for the feedback.

I hope you all enjoyed this week`s quiz and the "space question" hasn`t spoilt it.

Next week`s questions will, hopefully, avoid problems but there might be a couple of "head scratchers" Thinking 

and look out for the teaser on Monday for something I`ve got planned [which you should all enjoy] Bow

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 39 of 42

pgn
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions
@Mi-Amigo - the Space question was out of this world, don't worry about it.

Great quiz, great answers. Thank you.

Now if only the e-mail alerts were back in play... 🤔
Message 40 of 42