cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tempered Glass Screen Protector. ~ My Review.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tempered Glass Screen Protector Review.

After looking at one of these glass screen protectors on my colleagues mobile phone I created this thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector/m-p/698569/highlight/true#M27... ,to see if anyone else had used one.

Thank you to for your insight, and to for showing interest.

I ordered the shield from Amazon for £1.70. slight_smile

Other options are available that can cost up to £15+

The shield arrived this morning so I fitted it straightaway and have been using it for the day.

I used the 'hinge method' to fit the shield which for me has always meant shields have been fitted straight and inline. Basically you use cello-tape on the side of the shield onto the phone, which creates a hinge.

On pressing the middle of the shield you can actually see the silicone adhesive take hold. No bubbles. The key is to ensure the phone screen is spotless.

Some advocate going into the bathroom and running the shower as the dust in the air is dampened down, thus stopping dust particles adhering to the phone screen.

TouchScreen.
I have not come across any loss in sensitivity and it's actually a more smoother experience. Maybe this could be down to the oleophobic coating wearing off the iPhone display with wear and tear, and now feels better using the fresh coating on the tempered glass screen protector.

Finger prints seem to be less also. I haven't had to wipe the screen down as much today.

The shield corners are rounded so it precisely matches the iPhone 5s screen.

The thickness is 0.4mm so does not add anything major to the iPhone in thickness or weight.

The surface has a hardness of 8-9H which is 3 times stronger than regular PET film. Sharp objects such as knives and keys are reported to not scratch the surface.

Time will tell on how it will stand up to scratches but I won't be using a knife on it ,or keep my keys in the same pocket as my phone. wink

I have found that with the screen fitted the Home Button is a little more depressed ,but not enough to hinder pressing the Home Button, or using the finger print sensor. After a few hours it felt normal.

My iPhone original case fitted without issue.

The Good.

Hopefully it will save my iPhone screen if an accidental drop occurs. {Touch wood I don't drop it}

Will keep my screen free of scratches for when I sell it on.

If smashed it splinters into non sharp bits.

My original iPhone case fits with the shield fitted.

Cheap as chips.

The Not So Good.

Adds a little extra thickness but not really noticeable.

One time fit so be careful on fitting the screen shield.

Home Button is a little more depressed but I adjusted after a few hours.

In the pack I received the shield, micro fibre cloth, alcohol prep pad, x2 home button sticker pads (not for use with the iPhone 5s ,or the fingerprint scanner won't work )

image.jpg

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93294 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I have varying degrees of success fitting screen protectors but it's always the first thing I do with any new phone.

I have found it easiest to just take instore to any mobile outlet in Thailand, cost a couple of quid supplied and fitted. It's very therapeutic watching them do it with sellotape to remove any bubbles! Had two phones and a tablet done in January and they still look good.

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
On that subject I wish we had outlets like they do in the states ,where screen protectors can be bought, and for a few $ also fitted.

I once saw an O2 employee in a high-street store fit one as a favour to a customer.
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
@jonsie wrote:

I have varying degrees of success fitting screen protectors but it's always the first thing I do with any new phone.

Funny you should say that @jonsie as I recently got a Galaxy S4 from O2 and it had a screen protector already fitted.  It was definitely a new phone in a sealed box and there was no mention at any stage of the purchase process of it being otherwise.

Gerry

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most phones have those @Anonymous

Some people do keep them on but do start to peel after a while of use, as their meant to be temporary.
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Most phones have those @Anonymous

Some people do keep them on but do start to peel after a while of use, as their meant to be temporary.

I didn't know that BoB. Thanks.

Gerry

Message 15 of 16

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Very very nice BoB slight_smile

You say the thickness is a little much, but does it affect the touch sensitivity?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 16 of 16