Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

14th Contestant

ANNABEL CROFT.

Once Britains No 1 tennis player, now a commentator/presenter for tennis tournaments.

scd Annabelle.jpg

All contestants now named. I seem to know more than I did last year!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Why do I get the feeling Nigel Harman has done it before? Or may he's a touch similar to James Martin. Ex-Eastender too but I forgot the Casulty/Holby cast member appearance so he's got plenty of "support" videos coming. Right partner and he could go a long way. Think either Nadiya or Luba are a good match.

Annabel Croft looks rather spiffing after all these years. Hmm could be a surprise package of the series. Just hope they don't do a tennis themes dance as that will be awful. 

One more to go and will we see Boris or will we get a complete surprise to complete the deep sea sonar mapping exercise. Ping ping ping.....

Message 12 of 178

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Les Dennis?

Still rumoured @jonsie 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Rumour now confirmed @jonsie @sheepdog 

Contestant 15 LES DENNIS.

Actor, Presenter 'Comedian'. is the final contestant to be announced. Hopefully he'll be the first elimination as I can't stand the bloke 😂

However, at least I know him.

SCD LES.jpg

Be back in September folks. 😍

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 178

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I used to like the guy when he was a stand up comedian in his younger days. Think he was also a stooge for Les Dawson?

I can't stand the guy as he has got older and his pathetic attempts at acting in Corrrie was cringeworthy

One of those B celebs who seems to appear on everything these days!

Message 16 of 178

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I think this series has had a depth charge dropped on it. Quite a bit of a letdown being Les Dennis but then reading through his bio, he's got a pretty good agent to have constant work. 

Message 17 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Les Dennis has had constant work but he is no actor. As you know, I watch 2 soaps Corrie and Emmerdale. I was pleased when 'Pat Phelan' the villain of the time in Corrie, killed him off. 😂

Have to say, I know more this year than last. Oh well, roll on September.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Strictly launch show starts tomorrow and I know the pairings so going to post them @sheepdog 

(So you can fast forward over the bits you dislike) 😂

Amanda Abbington & Giovanni Pernice
Angela Rippon & Kai Widdrington
Layton Williams & Nikita Kuzmin.
Krishnan Guru Murphy & Lauren Oakley.
Eddie Kadi & Karen Hauer.
Angela Scanlon & Carlos Gu.
Zara McDermott & Grazio Di Prima
Adam Thomas & Luba Mushtuk.
Nikita Kanda & Gorka Marquez.
Jody Cundy & Jowita Przytal
Ellie Leach & Vito Coppola.
Bobby Brazier & Dianne Buswell.
Nigel Harman & Katya Jones.
Annabel Croft & Johannes Radebe.
Les Dennis & Nancy Xu.

No idea why Nadiya hasn't got a partner this year?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 123324 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Re NADIYA . A height thing apparently and no chemistry with male celebs. Load of tosh. 🙄

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 178