Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Nice opening number probably due to Oti Mabuse doing the choreography.

Not keen on Zara Larssen.

Dance off candidates

Angela R. and Kai (Hooray!!)

Adam  and Luba.

No shock that they saved Angela!!!

Probably best for Adam but please judges, get a damn grip!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 111 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Opening number was a remarkable upbeat uptempo afro-beats number. Good to see Johannes being the lead and bonus it was actually choreographed by Oti Mabuse. 

Tess in quite a good colour, Claudia in a togo top and leggings and yet Motsi managed to pull off wearing a picnic rug with tassels. 

The musical muppet was at least interactive but if that's modern pop, let me introduce you to Alice DeeJay from way back in 1999 with the same dance moves and way more of a dance floor filler Zara Larsson will ever be:

Interesting fact: they added the moves into this video afterwards as the original video was the broken jeep in a desert. A lesser known fact, the track was original released as DJ Jurgen presents Alice Deejay before re-released as Alice Deejay (I have physical proof in a cd single!). There, three facts more interesting that Zara Larsson. 

Dance-off came down to Angela Rippon and Adam so you know where that went. Yet the jury will need to review exactly what technique the judges saw in Angela to save her. 

Message 112 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@sheepdog 

Just trying to get the old biddy to Blackpool I think!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 113 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Saw this on a SCD group on FB.

Music and dances for Saturday. Still no fast dance for AR!!

SCD 23.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 114 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

It's the desperate to get to Blackpool next week week!

Angela R and Kai: Paso Doble to Hung Up by Madonna

Angela S and Carlos: Waltz to With You I’m Born Again by Billy Preston & Syreeta

Annabel and Johannes: Samba to Whenever, Wherever by Shakira

Actually Hung Up is fast though they are bound to slow it down to make it fit the Paso and the lack of speed by Angela R. Though I'm hoping for a Ming the Merciless outfit as she'd suit it 😂 Needs to be a good one for The Scanlon as she's now as weak as the other Angela by virtue of being in bottom section of the leaderboard for the last 3 weeks.

Saying that, the Samba will be a challenge for Annabel and even more difficult with that song that doesn't quite flow vocally. Rather, I'm not looking forward to the torture of the DAO singers. Dave Arch playing pan pipes might be worth it. 

Bobby and Dianne: American Smooth to Ghost of You by 5 Seconds of Summer

Ellie and Vito: Rumba to True Colours by Cyndi Lauper

Krishnan and Lauren: Samba to Bamboléo by Gipsy Kings

Big weeks for both Bobby and Ellie. Could be Bobby's best dance. The rumba, well I could actually like this one by Ellie given she's the one with the details. As for Krishnan, that's another crowd pleaser but Samba isn't a good one for men. Expect lots of walking and shimmy-ing into the dance-off. 

Layton and Nikita: Argentine Tango to Tattoo by Loreen

Nigel and Katya: Couple’s Choice to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars

Never heard of Loreen and the obligatory youtube listen leads me to thinking this is the weeks worst song and onto an AT. Not really looking forward to this interpretation by Layton at all. As for Nigel, this could be just be about perfect if they get the story of the dance right and he doesn't make mistakes. 

Message 115 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I have no doubt the paso will be slowed down as to be totally unrecognisable.

It's about time she was given a jive or samba.

Also the judges really need to start being more fair. On other SCD groups Angela's time is up. Particularly after last weeks dance off between AR and Adam.

Many claims that the show is fixed to favour Angela.

Like you, I'm not looking forward to Laytons interpretation of the AT. Also, if he does another cartwheel, I shall have to restrain myself from booting the TV!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 116 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Krishnan and Lauren. Samba.

Made a few mistakes. Samba roll missing. Not impressed. Scored 25

Bobby and Dianne. American Smooth.

What a lovely dance. Probably his best of the series. Scored 32 (undermarked)

Angela and Kai. Paso Doble.

The judges comments and marks were OTT. A mistake made but we got the 'royal' leg extension again.

Kai made it easy for her and all I can say is it was OK. Scored 32 (Overmarked)

Nigel and Katya. Couples Choice.

A lovely piece of story telling. Difficult choreography. No mistakes and I really enjoyed it. Scored 34

Ellie and Vito. Rumba.

A beautiful, stunning and difficult routine. A perfect Rumba. Judges comments didn't match their marks

Scored 35 (undermarked)

Annabel and Johannes. Samba.

It was ok but a bit placed. Not her dance really. Scored 31

Angela and Carlos. Waltz.

A nice waltz but could be a candidate for dance off. Scored 33

Layton and Nikita. Argentine Tango.

I can't stand Layton but that was a hell of an Argentine Tango. Not a step wrong. Scored 39.

A good show, just a pity the judges comments didn't match the marks given.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 117 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Motsi still outdressing Tess & Claudia. Claudia looking like a barn swallow. Overall, a good show tonight. 

Krishnan and Lauren: Samba. Confidence is high but this is really a dad dance. All walk. Rightly at the bottom of the leaderboard with 27.

Bobby and Dianne: American Smooth/Vienesse Waltz. This was by far his best dance. Agree with Craig over his hands but why bring it up now? 32 rather insulting given Angela Rippon's routine. 

Angela R and Kai: Paso Doble. Pretty much awful for this stage of the series and you really can't get away with the "leg extension" and ruffling skirts. Rather than looking determined, it was more being hunted by a wolf. Sadly, the judges didn't see it that way and vastly overmarked her again. How it was a 32 is beyond me. 

Nigel and Katya: Couple’s Choice. It is so refreshing to see a CC that isn't street/commercial. One of his best dances and error free! 34 should make him safe.

Ellie and Vito: Rumba. As ever, top class though agree with Craig, just a touch stiff. However, given her high standard it's a fair comment. Also, yes it was a good rumba. Given 35 

Annabel and Johannes: Samba. Supremely confident routine and built on last weeks performance. Just enjoyable but sadly undermarked when you consider how much technique there was compared to Angela Rippon. Score of 31.

Angela S and Carlos: Waltz. Very very nice. No idea what Craig was watching. Perhaps the brown envelope being passed to him. Quite a respectable 33.

Layton and Nikita: Argentine Tango. Good but I didn't get the intensity and I thought he was stiff. Kind of got away with mirroring Nikita though. 39 thankfully as the ego may have exploded with four tens. 

So it leaves Annabel at second bottom, Krishnan bottom and Angela Rippon just above. By rights, it should be Angela Rippon v Krishnan in the dance-off and we know who'll be saved. It would be a travesty if it was Annabel v Angela and the judges saved Angela. Can't rule out Bobby being the surprise either. 

Oh I can't call tomorrow's act a musical monstrosity as it is a class act in Andrea and Virginia Borcelli. This is what they'll be doing so looking forward to this:

Message 118 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

I flicked over before they mentioned the musical act. Very highbrow for SCD

Really looking forward to hearing it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 119 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126385 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Lovely opening number by the professionals. A dance relating to Remembrance day.

Beautiful performance of Hallelujah by Andrea and Virginia Bocelli.

Dance off:

Krishnan and Lauren

Angela and Kai (I think the public have spoken!!)

Despite this Angela was saved by 3 of the judges. Shirley said she would have saved Krishnan. (I thought she was safe saying that, particularly as Rippon was already through!.

Oh well, onto Blackpool. I hope this farce of keeping Angela Rippon in ends next week!

I'm out next Saturday so won't be doing a write up until Sunday.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 120 of 178