Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parkinsons disease. Breath test diagnosis

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Fascinating research with a small trial group has produced results that show soon Parkinsons disease could be diagnosed by using a simple breath test.

Parkinson's disease is a progressive condition where there is gradual loss of nerve cells from the brain.

The test looks for a unique signature of chemicals in exhaled breath.

Small studies in volunteers have begun and early findings suggest the test can identify those with the debilitating brain condition.

The charity Parkinson's UK and experts at the University of Cambridge were intrigued by these early findings and are now setting out to do a bigger study involving 200 volunteers from England

I will be following this trial with interest. My father had Parkinsons. He was diagnosed far too late for any treatment to be beneficial. We have been struggling for years to find a definitive diagnostic test for this major debilitating condition. I hope this simple test is the way forward

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31364407

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/10-february-2015/breath-test-could-detect-parkinsons

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I never cease to be amazed by these kind of reports.
It's incredible what they can do now......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 17

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I thought the report that I saw on TV said it could diagnose early stage lung cancer.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 3 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I thought the report that I saw on TV said it could diagnose early stage lung cancer.

There is a breathalyser test which should be able to diagnose lung cancer...and stomach and bowel cancers

It sniffs out chemicals associated with a number of these cancers. It will be used in two NHS hospitals this summer, as part of a £1 million clinical trial (Brilliant news)

Obviously the one for Parkinsons will be detecting different chemicals relating to brain degeneration..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Wow. Technology making our lives better and better.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing to think they can identify it just by the chemical 'signature' of a persons breath. No invasive tests/scans etc. 

Is there a possibility if they figure out more 'signatures' that even more things could be diagnosed without expensive tests/biopsy's etc?

Message 6 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazing to think they can identify it just by the chemical 'signature' of a persons breath. No invasive tests/scans etc. 

Is there a possibility if they figure out more 'signatures' that even more things could be diagnosed without expensive tests/biopsy's etc?

I think this is only the start Phill. As beenherebefore mentioned we have similar breath test trials starting later this year in two hospitals These will assist with diagnosis of cancers (lung, bowel and stomach at present)..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
But.... what about the possibility of gene-locus mutagenics in suspect chemical variations....?
Would that be of benefit or a hinderance to this research?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
But.... what about the possibility of gene-locus mutagenics in suspect chemical variations....?
Would that be of benefit or a hinderance to this research?

LOLLOL Now how did I know YOU would ask that?

I have no idea... being just a humble nurse. However if ever I am in contact with Professor Booth who is leading the research project I will be sure to ask him on your behalf....Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Medical research has been going on for what seems my lifetime but the breakthroughs this last year or so so are tremendous advancements.

Message 10 of 17