O2 Community Book Club 📚

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

reading.jpeg

Calling all bookworms!

I am here to gauge some interest from you all, please. Would you be interested in a Book Club?

If so, we want to hear from you!

It would be amazing if we could begin a Book Club for the community. I imagine we would pick a new book every month, and read it together. Then, give our reviews and have a discussion about said book 😁.

I could definitely do with the encouragement to pick up a book - so, this would be a perfect solution for me. Is there anyone else keen on this? Please, comment below and share your thoughts!

My initial ideas:

• Create a Monthly Book Voting Thread (similar to @Martin-O2's Movie Thread)
    • Vote/Discuss which book we would like to read in the following month
  • All begin reading on the 1st of the next month
  • Create a new topic at the beginning of the month for the book discussion
    • Readers would use spoiler tags to ensure nothing gets spoiled for others
      • Readers can post all their thoughts, questions, ideas in there!

As easy as that, maybe 🤗.

Let me know if you're interested! I would like to get a few of us involved at the very least, before committing. Any ideas or questions too, feel free to comment. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks 📚!

P.S. I am also aware of the What Are You Reading topic too. We can continue using that for other books we're reading too 😊.

Maybe, @Cleoriff @jonsie @Anonymous @gmarkj @ComaChameleon @blissgirl @RunrigForever @Pennywren  would be interested in this? And anyone else who wants to join in, of course.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@lewys-gp 

I'm a real bookworm. Problem is, I have very specific likes and dislikes about books. I dislike autobiographies. I have read the Lewis Hamilton story which was bought for me for Christmas but apart from that, I haven't read any others.

I like psychological thrillers or a good horror story.

So my concern is, being made to read a book I have no interest in.

I presume we would have to buy the books ourselves?

I have a Kindle but never use it. A lot of the joy of reading for me is the look, feel and smell of a brand new book.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey, @Cleoriff. Thanks for the reply 😊.

This is why I wanted to create this initial topic first to see if members would be interested. 

I imagine we could find a book all participants would be interested in each month - just need to find a decent selection to choose from (possibly looking at prize nominations, for example). I understand your point, though!

And yes, this was just an idea I had recently. So, I imagine we would buy the book ourselves. I'll wait to see what others think. I appreciate the reply 😁.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I read some fiction, but not much as I prefer non-fiction nowadays  (There is a enough fiction on the internet, but then what is reality?)

I've just read: Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality - By John Gribbin (2003) I've read it before, but the way the author explains (In simpler terms) Quantum mechanics is fascinating.

Highly recommended, but be prepared to be truly amazed.     

Message 4 of 7

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2200 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@lewys-gp 

Sadly I'm just too lazy to read books in English (aswell as it's not easy to get them to a decent price over here). 

Even cheated back in school as I would read it in German instead (and watch the film)... But got best mark anyway as I could write and analyse it very good XD

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 5 of 7

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I would be interested in a Book Club.

I am interested in most forms of fiction and non-fiction ... although ... not a particular lover of Horror, but I would be prepared to buy a book off Amazon on Horror and read as far as I could and post on the thread.

My comment would be maybe if I could not finish a book within a month, as I have said above, I would post as far as I had read, if that makes sense ?

***DESORMAIS***
Message 6 of 7

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

This is an excellent idea, but how to find a mutually acceptable read? 

Maybe each member could propose a few, then put it to a process of elimination by vote, until one remains (then watch while most people reject it, and pass that month.....)

A book club is a good enough idea to give it a whirl however

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 7 of 7