cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : U.S. Court says phone passcodes are protected under the law.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Headline : U.S. Court says phone passcodes are protected under the law.

Excerpt from the Link "Criminals should protect their iPhones with a passcode, not Touch ID, as a Virginia District Court has determined that passcodes are protected under the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution while fingerprints are not, according to a report Friday by Hampton Roads.

The Fifth Amendment protects citizens from self-incrimination so a phone is protected under the law because otherwise it would require a defendant to divulge knowledge. Put simply, a Circuit Court judge has ruled that a criminal defendant can be compelled to reveal their fingerprint but not the passcode, so that police could search their mobile phone."

My thoughts :

So I can now see these people making sure their phones are PassWord Protected.

What confuses me is if a person is guilty of being a criminal and a phone could hold crucial evidence / proof then they should really be made to handover the password.

Source : idownloadblog.
Read more :http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/10/31/us-court-passcode-protected-law/
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@jonsie wrote:
I can imagine the outrage here in Thailand if I was to air my thoughts about their legal system or their customs and traditions.

Nothing that a couple of thousand baht wouldn't calm, eh jonsie ? Dance

More likely the Bangkok Hilton!

Message 21 of 21