Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Man Dies Charging iPhone in Bath

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I have just read this news item on the BBC Red Button service.

This may be a silly question but who in their right mind charges a phone, any phone, while they're in the bath? Or near any water for that matter. I would have thought even a non-techie like me knows this is a no-no!

The story went on to say the coroner planned to send a report to Apple 'about taking action to prevent future deaths'.

Is it me or isn't this just common sense.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Glory1 In a lifeproof case a phone can be used anywhere without any ports open on the beach or bath. If you use an external battery pack at 5v you could also charge near water as the voltage or amp age would not do any harm. 

To put this in perspective any 5v dc device not connected to anything will never harm you. But introduce 240v ac at max 13amps can kill but in modern installs of mains power, the main distribution boards use rcd's are used rather than fuses and they trip easily preventing this sort of incident. 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Thank you @adamtemp64 you have given me very useful information none of which I was aware of. I imagine there are many people like me who are unaware of what you say. This is the sort of information everyone with a mobile should have.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 12