cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like Telefonica are planning to phase out the plug in SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems a bit of a backward step in my opinion for phones at least.

What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I remember having a payt on Vodafone's back in 1998 that didnt have a sim, then they started on about how sim cards would mean more freedom and taking your number wherever you go.
Now the opposite is being touted as a positive thing?
Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Had a few of those analogue phones back in the day and I think you had a new number every time you changed phones.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, my folks had one of the old Ericsson TACS phones on Cellnet just for emergencies (as it costed 50p a min then!) and I beleive the number was hardcoded into the phone.

The SIM itself was introduced primarily as a security device with the convenience being a by-product.

I think the fact that some of the stuff that is currently fixed during manufacture will be able to be updated Over The Air (albeit it via a secure channel as SIM operations are now) I do think it presents a bit of a pointless risk from a phone user's point of view.

I can also see a lot of problems occuring with provisioning that just don't exist with the current model which could take a lot of time to diagnose and correct.

It's enough of an inconvenience when a number port goes awry.

Message 13 of 13