cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is our education system failing the majority?

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9741500/Millions-of-adults-have-maths-skills-of-a...

What are your views?

Do you think the education system is failing the younger generations?

Or is it the students who are failing themselves?

As you all can probably already guess. I believe the latter to be true. I think you can only get an equivalent to what you give in regards to efforts put into education.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm. I'd have to say yes, I think the current education system is failing students - the curriculum is too prescriptive and restrictive in my opinion (and I come from the position of having worked with 'problem' children in schools). A system that tries to knock square pegs into round holes, will always find many - and usually very bright young people, disengaged and disinterested.

I have the greatest respect for many teachers, but they are under pressure to meet targets, and there is so much paperwork now, students are way down the list of priorities, I have seen many a promising young teacher become disillusioned themselves...not good for anyone!

It was this, that made me decide I could do better for my own children, and I took all three boys out of school and educated them 'otherwise'. I educated them at home - pretty much autonomously, from Primary age, until they decided the path they wanted to follow, via further and higher education paths. My two eldest are at Uni,having first attended college, the youngest in the last year of college, then off to Uni slight_smile

someone once gave me a fridge magnet with read: teaching is a work of heart.

I couldnt have put it any better myself.

D.

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

"I couldnt have put it any better myself."

You could have - given a decent education  tongue

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 14

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

"I couldnt have put it any better myself."

You could have - given a decent education  tongue

Burn! wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 14 of 14