Did you mean: 

Hundreds of mouse-sized spiders released in the UK

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

One for all the arachnophobes out there. Hundreds of Fen Raft spiders have been released across the UK in an effort to revive the dwindling numbers of this endangered species. These spiders feed on insects, tadpoles and small fish which they catch by skating on the surface of water. They are also harmless to humans in case you were worrying Smiley Very Happy 

The London based Zoo, Chessington World of Adventures has been breeding the spiders in captivity and have released over 400 into the wild over the last 2 years. This has had a positive effect on the population which has nearly doubled since the program began!

I definitely support this effort even though spiders do freak me out as I think it's important to ensure as much biodiversity as possible. 

Fen spider.jpg

Full story here

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I never kill spiders. They're the janitors of the insect world. Here's some myths debunked:

http://www.pestworld.org/news-hub/pest-articles/debunking-common-spider-myths/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

An interesting read @Bambino. The I've heard the swallowing 8 a year myth so may times!

I've killed a few over the years but I'm a lot better dealing with spiders these days and just leave them be as none in the UK can cause you any real harm. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I am never afraid of any insects but dislike spiders. In the summer months we have a load around here and my husband is the one called on to deal with them. Gently lifts them up...puts them outside...thus allowing them to scuttle straight back in again..... Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff I've always been the same. Something about spiders that just freaks me out. luckily my house mate is more then happy to remove them but like you said I'm sure there coming straight back in Smiley Very Happy

signature

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's not the spiders that have ever worried me, it's the two legged vermin that feed off and cause harm to others. All insects and arachnids serve a purpose though I'm worried about the super bugs that we have created that are immune to antibiotics such as the mosquitoes spreading the Zika virus like wildfire.

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

My eldest son squeals like a girl when he sees a spider of any size. His girlfriend is the one who says 'there there' and takes it carefully outside. Some love them...and others...well...gif run.gif

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie Yes I've heard that if there were no spiders we would be overrun by insects very quickly so they definitely have a job to do. I just wish they were a bit nicer to look at. 

@CleoriffHaha that totally used to be me. Strangely these days I'm fine with really big ones or really small ones. It's the mid range spiders that's still freak me out. 

signature

Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I always found it strange that my wife would willingly allow a 'money' spider to run around her hand and arm for good luck but anything bigger she would shriek and run a mile.

Message 9 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie It seems that's a common phenomenon. Very small or very big are fine but anything else is a NOPE! 

signature

Message 10 of 10