Halloween Movie Discussion/Recommendations

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Hey everyone,

I'm starting some early Halloween movie discussion, as once October hits, nobody needs an excuse to light some candles, grab some popcorn, and settle down and watch some horror flicks ghost

Watching movies is one of my favourite things to do in my spare time, so below are some horrors that I recommend watching this Halloween, some of which I've watched in the past couple of weeks ↘️

The Conjuring (2013)

Kicking off with my personal #1 horror film, scoring 7.5/10 on IMDb, this film is based on a true story! In 1970, paranormal investigators and demonologists Lorraine and Ed Warren are summoned to the home of Carolyn and Roger Perron. The Perrons and their five daughters have recently moved into a secluded farmhouse, where a supernatural presence has made itself known. Though the manifestations are relatively benign at first, events soon escalate in horrifying fashion, especially after the Warrens discover the house's macabre history.

The story behind the film is even more frightening and more details on this can be seen here 

giphy (11).gif

REC (2007)

Next up is a film, I've not watched for a few years, however, is still fresh in my memory and is due a re-watch this Halloween. Scoring 7.4/10 on IMDb and placing at number 60 on Time Out's list of the Top 100 Best Horror Films, this movie description is as follows, late-night TV host Angela and her cinematographer are following the fire service on a call to an apartment building, but the Spanish police seal off the building after an old woman is infected by a virus that gives her inhuman strength. This film is in Spanish, so subtitles will be needed.

giphy (7).gif

Talk to Me (2022)

The latest movie released on my list scores 7.2/10 on IMDb and is an Australian supernatural horror film. When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits with an embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill and high-stakes party game, until one of them goes too far and unleashes terrifying supernatural forces. I watched this a couple of weeks ago and if this tickles your fancy, you're in luck as this comes to UK Netflix on 26 October.

giphy (8).gif

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021)

As you may have now noticed, The Conjuring Franchise is one of my favourites, and the third installment released in 2021, is my next recommendation. This is again based on a true story when paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren take on one of the most sensational cases of their careers after a cop stumbles upon a dazed and bloodied young man walking down the road. Accused of murder, the suspect claims demonic possession as his defense, forcing the Warrens into a supernatural inquiry unlike anything they've ever seen before. Even though this has the lowest IMDb score on the list at 6.3/10, it's still worth a watch!

More details on the true story can be seen here, and there is also a documentary on Netflix covering the story named: The Devil On Trial.

giphy (9).gif

Halloween (1978)

I couldn't finish my recommendations without including a classic in the list, and it's the perfect watch if you want to scare off those trick-or-treaters on Halloween evening. The movie synopsis reads, fifteen years after murdering his sister on Halloween night 1963, Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to the small town of Haddonfield, Illinois to kill again. If you still haven't had a chance to watch the original Halloween, make 2023 the year, you won't be disappointed with a 7.7/10 score on IMDb.

giphy (10).gif

Thanks for listening and please comment below if you get a chance to watch any of my recommendations with your thoughts 😊

Please also provide your own recommendations below and we can all add them to our must watch lists ✏️

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Interesting @Mi-Amigo, I agree, that the general rule is that remakes are never usually better than the originals, however in my view one remake that stands up with a score of 7.1/10, is The Ring (2002) after the original was released in 1998. In this film, a journalist must investigate a mysterious videotape that seems to cause the death of anyone one week to the day after they view it.

Is there even one remake that you like? 😋

Thanks for your suggestions, I've never seen your all time favourite horror Christine (1983), and with a score of 6.7/10 on IMDb, I'll be sure to sit down and give it a watch.

If anyone else is interested, the movie follows the changes in the lives of Arnie Cunningham, his friends, his family, and his teenage enemies after he buys a classic red and white 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine, a car that seems to have a mind of its own and a jealous, possessive personality, which has a bad influence on Arnie.

giphy (17).gif

Message 11 of 30

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

That story has given me a little chuckle @Cleoriff 😂

Did you already have a phobia of clowns? 

I must admit Pennywise is not someone you will want to set eyes on during the dark of night 🤡

The original IT (1990) scores 6.8/10 on IMDb and in the summer of 1989, a group of bullied kids band together to destroy a shape-shifting monster, which disguises itself as a clown and preys on the children of Derry, their small Maine town.

giphy (18).gif

Message 12 of 30

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Thanks for the suggestion @J9el 🎞

Have you already been able to sit down and watch it again this year?

The Fog (1980) scores 6.8/10 on IMDb and the film summary is, an unearthly fog rolls into a small coastal town exactly 100 years after a ship mysteriously sank in its waters. Strange things begin to occur as a tiny California coastal town prepares to commemorate its centenary.

What do you think about the 2005 remake? It has a score of 3/7/10 👀

giphy (19).gif

Message 13 of 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125751 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7547 Solutions

@Dave-O2 

Yes I have a fear of clowns so IT was horrific.

As for The Blair Witch, as I said, it was the pre release hype which was so brilliantly frightening.

I, like @Mi-Amigo love Stephen King. I don't think his books translate well into films (except Christine)

The Shining was on a few nights ago and I found myself getting annoyed with the wife..or the actress. What a wimp. 😂

Having said that I also loved Pet Sematry and the lesser known Cujo.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 30

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Yeahhhh... No thanks Dave. Horror is my least favourite movie genre. 

I have an irrational fear of spiders - nothing debilitating as I can still easily 'dispose' of them but looking at them creeps me out. That said, although the Arachnophobia movie is more thriller than horror, that one gets my vote for sure.

Nuh uh... NOPE! JUST NAH.

5Gp9.gif

Message 15 of 30

jonsie
  • 93922 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions
Message 16 of 30

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

Thanks for the recommendation, I think @Chris_K 😂

I'm not too bad with spiders personally, however, I certainly wouldn't encourage them into my house.

Arachnophobia, has a score of 6.5/10 and the film write up is: a new species of South American killer spider hitches a lift to a small California town in a coffin and starts to breed, leaving a trail of deaths that puzzle and terrify the young doctor newly arrived in town with his family. 🕷

giphy (20).gif

Message 17 of 30

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 792 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 28 Solutions

I sat down and watched another horror movie last night and it was one I enjoyed, so I'm popping it on here as a recommendation ↘️

The film was The Empty Man and scores 6.2/10 on IMDb, this is a movie where the action starts straight away, so there is no slow start. The synopsis is below:

On the trail of a missing girl, an ex-cop comes across a secretive group attempting to summon a terrifying supernatural entity.

Maybe one to watch over the weekend?

giphy (28).gif

Message 18 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 125751 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7547 Solutions

I'll add one more as I love this film. Bit of a cult classic this one.

The Lost Boys. Loved it and would watch it every time it's on TV. Great soundtrack as well.

It does mix a vampire story with a few laughs.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 125751 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7547 Solutions

And...also from  Lost Boys

People Are Strange - Echo and the Bunnymen

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket