Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOPE - the 02 Community Elephant

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The 02 Community is renown for its members offering help and for caring.

It is with great pleasure that I can announce that, thanks to the support of members of this Community, an adoption has been set up with the Born Free Foundation for what is known as the Elephant Family.

The Born Free Adoption Certificate will be in the name of the "02 Community".

It has been decided that one of these elephants should be named HOPE.

The adoption pack, with the adoption certifciate and photos of these beautiful creatures, should be received within the next few days and will be posted on this thread.

In the meantime, here is a short video of these beautiful elephants and the Born Free Foundation:

https://www.bornfree.org.uk/video-hub?page=2

scroll down and click "Adopt the Elephant Family" to watch

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Yes, of course it's about money and greed. In the same way Japan has resumed whaling as of last month

Totally despicable

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 81 of 212

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

I was totally horrified @Mi-Amigo  when I heard this about BOTSWANA shameful ~ I am hoping that something can be done there to stop this slaughter.   These nasty people hunters paying vast sums of money to hurt other creatures they should have their passports revoked upon return and sent to run for their lives! ~ like that Dentist who killed the gorgeous Lion ~ he was supposed to be looked after too. Shame on them and anyone like themrage

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 82 of 212

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It's horrific and shameless. All the dispicable 'hunters' in this sick world will be going there in the name of sport. Heartless rage

Message 83 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Amboseli Trust for Elephants [where `Hope` is] facebook 30 May 2019:

When a calf want to suckle he or she will walk parallel to the mother or push up against her while touching near her breast. Sometimes this behaviour is accompanied by a suckle- rumble or begging call.

The mother usually responds by stopping and moving her leg forward so the calf can suckle easily, but if she feels it is not a good time she will walk away or block her breast with her leg. Sometimes persistence pays off and if a calf protests with a load roaring sound the mother will change her mind.

Being an experienced mother helps with deciding when to suckle and how to time suckling well so that the calf has maximum chance of getting their feed without disrupting mothers feeding time or family movements.

[included, what I believe, is the latest photo featuring `Hope`]     
Image may contain: outdoor and nature

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 84 of 212

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thanks for sourcing the picture @Mi-Amigo  Baby elephants are just beautiful to watch with the herd...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 85 of 212

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Thanks @Mi-Amigo for the latest photo of Hope, He's so cute beside his mother. Seeing them side by side shows how small he is in comparison to mum.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 86 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Glad you liked the pic @Cleoriff and @Glory1 .

I should have the Adopt magazine soon from Born Free, and will post any articles about the adopted Elephant Family and, of course, our little `Hope`.

In the meantime, I have managed to source part of:

HOPE`S FAMILY TREE:

Hope`s mother, Paru, was born in July 1981, so is now aged 38.

Paru gave birth to Hope`s older brother, Pasha, in March 1998. Now, aged 21, he has left the herd.

Paru gave birth to Hope`s older sister, Prunella, in January 2003, and she is still with mother and Hope.

I will try and trace Hope`s cousin who cares for Hope alongside Paru and Prunella.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 87 of 212

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Having done some more research, I think I can give some more details on Hope`s Family Tree.

OCTAVIA [Hope`s grandmother] born 1948; and ZOYA [Hope`s great-aunt] born 1941 formed sub-group in 2001, following death of herd matriach PENELOPE [born 1938].

OCTAVIA gave birth to PARU [Hope`s mother] in July 1981; ZOYA gave birth to PALOMA [one of Hope`s aunts] in May 1988.

PARU [Hope`s mother] gave birth to PASHA [Hope`s older brother] in March 1998 [now 21 has left herd]; PRUNELLEA [Hope`s older sister] in January 2003 [PRUNELLA is still with PARU and Hope].

PALOMA [Hope`s aunt] gave birth to PIERETTE [Hope`s cousin] in May 2005. PIERETTE is with PARU and PRUNELLA, caring for and protecting HOPE.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 88 of 212

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Good to hear that background and family tree @Mi-Amigo 

I allways find it amazing the age elephants live to.

I expect Pasha is with his own herd now...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 89 of 212

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Thanks for the special information @Mi-Amigo very clear to understand. Best wishes TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 90 of 212