Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY RADIO CAROLINE

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25204 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Radio Caroline, the famous "pirate" radio station, began broadcasting on 28 March 1964 [Easter Sunday] from the radio ship MV Caroline, anchored in International Waters off the coast of Essex.

Before Radio Caroline, pop music on the radio was restricted to 2 hours a week on the BBC Light Programme and the evening transmissions from Radio Luxembourg, with the signal fading in and out, and the records played were from the Big Five record companies - so there was little chance of hearing up-and-coming or new singers or groups.

Radio Caroline broke the monopoly. It gave new singers and groups airtime - including The Who and Status Quo who have said Radio Caroline played an important part in their success.

Radio Caroline played the music which the listeners wanted. I listened from Day 1.

It`s djs became household names. Tony Blackburn, Johnny Walker, Paul McKenna, and Conservative MP Sir Roger Gale were all djs on Radio Caroline.

Radio Caroline broadcast from five different ships during her life at sea

MV Caroline [1964 - 1968];

MV Mi Amigo [1964 - 1968; 1972 - 1980;

MV Cheeta 2 [1966 - while MV Mi Amigo was being repaired]

MV Mebo II [June 1970];

MV Ross Revenge [1983 - 1990; RSLs 1990s; Ofcom licence 2017 - date]

Radio Caroline is still broadcasting today on 648khz AM, and on the internet, from MV Ross Revenge in River Blackwater.

Happy 60th birthday Radio Caroline - long may you continue. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Mi-Amigo
  • 25204 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Was it illegal to listen to radio Caroline?

@Mi-Amigo 

The short answer is "Yes". Under the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949 [!] it is illegal to listen to any unauthorised radio station - i.e. not licensed by the Government.

The Marine Offences Act of 1967 made it illegal to work for, supply, advertise on, promote any radio station broadcasting from a ship, structure, or other marine object even if in international waters. This was the Act which closed down all the "pirate" radio stations of the 60s, except Radio Caroline, which defied the British Government and made the historic broadcast by Johnnie Walker and Robbie Dale at 12 midnight on Monday August 14th, 1967 - listen here .

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 33

Mi-Amigo
  • 25204 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Enlli and @TallTrees for the images and thank you @jonsie for the video and your memories of Radio Caroline.

It is absolutely brilliant to have so many share their memories and celebrate 60 years of Radio Caroline.

Thank you everyone.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 22 of 33

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36271 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Just stumbled across this...

1000016778.jpg

Message 23 of 33

Mi-Amigo
  • 25204 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yesterday morning - 28 March - ex Radio Caroline DJ Tony Blackburn took over Zoe Ball`s Radio 2 programme and announced "the pirates are back" and remembered/celebrated Radio Caroline`s birthday

tbrc1.jpg

listen here 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 33

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10782 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Wow. Exciting stuff @Mi-Amigo 

I am impressed.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 25 of 33

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6089 Posts
  • 105 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

My recollections of Radio Caroline centre around "The Big Wide Wonderful World of Daffy Don Allen", a Canadian DJ who presented Country and Western programmes. After the demise of Radio Caroline, he worked at Manx Radio before sadly dying whilst still a relatively young man. 

Did you follow any of the other pirate stations @Mi-Amigo ? Radio North Sea International and Radio Veronica are two that come to mind.  

Message 26 of 33

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10782 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 348 Solutions

Don't know her @pgn 

Seems familiar though 🤔 

TV times in colour,  extravaganza 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 27 of 33

Mi-Amigo
  • 25204 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Oxonian wrote:

Did you follow any of the other pirate stations @Mi-Amigo ? Radio North Sea International and Radio Veronica are two that come to mind.  

Yes @Oxonian 

Radio Nordsee International - aka Radio North Sea/RNI - broadcasting in English and Dutch from radioship Mebo II, initially anchored in International Waters off the coast of Holland in early 1970. The ship sailed to Britain and anchored in International Waters off the coast of Essex. The British Government jammed RNI`s signal. In June 1970, with the British General Election pending, RNI changed her name to Radio Caroline - after consultation with Caroline`s founder Ronan O`Rahilly, A mass rally in support of Radio Caroline and against the jamming was held in London, with a march from Hyde Park to Trafalgar Square. At the rally, I met Ronan and was invited to speak at the rally in Rafalgar Square!!

After the election, the station on Mebo II reverted back to RNI and sailed back to the Dutch coast.

In 1972, a boat trip was organised ro visit the offshore stations - RNI, Veronica, and Caroline. I went and during my stay in the Netherlands had the privilege of going out and going on board the Mebo II, visited Caroline`s Dutch office and met the DJs; visited Veronica`s Dutch offices and was given a guided tour and was interviewed - in English - in Veronica`s land based studio, which was later transmitted by the station.

I did realise that under the MOA, I could have been arrested for any of these "offences" - with a possible fine of up to £400 or 3 months in prison - for supporting offshore radio, but was lucky to get away with it.

Radio Caroline was part of my life and something which I`ll never forget.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 28 of 33

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123193 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

That's a fascinating story @Mi-Amigo!

We have a protester and Rebel With a Cause here on the O2 community. Well done you. 😍

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 33

Mi-Amigo
  • 25204 Posts
  • 816 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's a fascinating story @Mi-Amigo!

We have a protester and Rebel With a Cause here on the O2 community. Well done you. 😍

Thanks @Cleoriff 

Yeh. I think "protester and Rebel With A Cause" about sums me up 😁

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 30 of 33