Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countdown to Brexit

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The UK leaves the EU at 23.00hrs [11pm] tonight.

According to BBC News online see here 

The British flag has been removed from its pole outside the European Parliament in Brussels and replaced with the flag of the European Union.

A clock counting down to the moment the UK leaves the EU will be projected on to Downing Street.

At 22.00 [10pm]: Boris Johnson will address the nation in a video message.

At 23.00 [11pm], Big Ben will not chime due to ongoing renovation works.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 313
312 REPLIES 312

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35790 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Now we hear that if a deal is not forthcoming by next Weds, 02-Dec, there is no time for the necessary review by the other 27 EU countries.
This may be another bargaining ploy, but meanwhile, DFDS has announced direct ferry services from the Republic of Ireland to France, starting 02 Jan.

https://www.dfds.com/en/about/media/news/dfds-opens-direct-ireland-france-ferry-route

Looks like paperwork and lorry parks and queues have made the case for a 24hr ocean crossing in place of the 14hrs to get to England and down to Dover for the short crossing to France...
Food chain disruption and the death of the land bridge https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1128/1180993-brexit-tony-connelly/

Message 51 of 313

Anonymous
Not applicable
Positive side... less trucks on our roads, reduced capacity for illegal immigrants to get in, less pollution.

Message 52 of 313

pgn
  • 35790 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Positive side... less trucks on our roads, reduced capacity for illegal immigrants to get in, less pollution.

Great for shareholders of DFDS stock, @Anonymous, not so great for those truckers who used to collect and road-haul containers from west-coast ports down to the Channel ports..

I wonder, will UK citizens still be able to hold shares in EU businesses? 🤔

Message 53 of 313

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Illegal immigrants will always find a way - if they want to...

And less polution - if you review that comment global, it's like to introduce an area to pee in a pool...

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 54 of 313

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Well put @ComaChameleon   LOL

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 55 of 313

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
The day the majority believed Boris and voted for Brexit and yet again put the prat in power our fate was sealed ...I wouldn't put him in charge of a peanut stall. We are now like flotsam in a storm. But hey that is what the majority wanted in a big way. So now we wait. Whether a person thinks it's good or bad we are all in the hands of a fool and an ignoble person.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 56 of 313

pgn
  • 35790 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
The day the majority believed Boris and voted for Brexit and yet again put the prat in power our fate was sealed ...I wouldn't put him in charge of a peanut stall. We are now like flotsam in a storm. But hey that is what the majority wanted in a big way. So now we wait. Whether a person thinks it's good or bad we are all in the hands of a fool and an ignoble person.

Frustratingly, @TallTrees.

And somebody has made sure he is surrounded by yes-men (and women) as anyone with a titter of wit was manœuvred into the position where they had to hand in their notice... 

I don't know who all those in the Cabinet pic below are, but whoever is helping the guy that's fiddling with the bus below needs to be identified and made to cease and desist. 

Cabinet_of_horrors_drawing_by_Chris_-James-1.jpg

(and I think it is a bunch of people, not just one!) 

Message 57 of 313

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
The cabinet ....love it 😄 @pgn
...I like the depiction of Gove as joker...I really dislike that man.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 58 of 313

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure I agree @ComaChameleon ..

No matter how small the reduction it all goes towards meeting our agreed targets.

And as for the immigrants.. it will be another perfectly acceptable country they have to pass through before reaching our shores. Which in turn gives me less sympathy to their plight.
Message 59 of 313

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Not sure I agree @ComaChameleon ..

No matter how small the reduction it all goes towards meeting our agreed targets.

And as for the immigrants.. it will be another perfectly acceptable country they have to pass through before reaching our shores. Which in turn gives me less sympathy to their plight.

@Anonymous 

Only the target of one country - But not them of the whole pact. 

I myself think Europe does enough to reach that goals - but we should help other nations to achieve that too (like USA, Russia, China - Asia as whole, Africa, South America...).

Like cars - we get. forced to buy new ones because of polution - what happens to the old ones? They're shipped to Africa and bomb down the desert there for the next 10+ years - which is like the *bleep*-area in a pool. 

But we over here can say "WE reached our targets blahblah" - pathetic in my eyes.

You said they pass through other acceptable countries - But they passed many (!) of them before reaching the EU-area at all. But if you all pack into Italy, Turkey or so, they can't cope that and you pay again... (not to forget the north african countries).

I think there should be more help to integrate and criminal people need to be send back, no matter how old or what background they have. 

For example - a young (both have degrees from universities) family came here. The man got language courses. The woman not - as she was forced to look after the child instead of being able to work. On the other hand all talk about lack of specialiced workers. 

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 60 of 313