cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Film club: Are you a film buff?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

You may recall the great 'Saturday night film club' formed by our very own Liquid a few weeks back.

Are you a film buff? Do you like discussion performances, themes and symbolism in your movies? Or you do just enjoy exploding robots? Sound off below and get involved!

This week we have a wide choice, and I have highlighted a few below, but feel free to post your suggestions, the more variety the better and it doesn't not matter on the day, we film buffs will watch a great movie any time. Also, are these films worth watching? Post your reviews slight_smile

1). Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Directed by Martin Mcquand

Sat 10th Nov. 14:45-17:20 on ITV1  return-of-the-jedi.jpg

The classic trilogy concludes. It caters to all of your Sci-fi needs; Tiny bears, uncomfortable family interaction and space battles. What  more do you need?

- David Lynch turned down the chance to direct this movie

- The biggest grossing film of 1983

- Kenny Baker, who played R2 D2 also played an Ewok named Paploo.

2). The Polar Express

Directed by Robert Zemeckis

Sat 10th Nov. 17:55-19:50 on ITV2 

The acclaimed director of Back to the Future bring us his first effort using performance capture and a great multi-performance from the great Tom Hanks. If you can get past the strange eyes on each character, this is an enchanting little movie that may get you in a slightly festive mood slight_smile

- The main character's (the boy) name is never mentioned 

- All the train tickets in the film have the number 1225 on them; Christmas day slight_smile

3). Valkyrie

Directed by Bryan Singer

Sun 11th Nov. 21:00-23:25 on Five 

The untold story of an assassination plot on Adolf Hitler by the men in his command. A wonderful cast from both sides of the pond. Even though the outcome is predictable, it is a very riveting watch.

- Many scenes were re-shot because a large part of the film reel was destroyed by spilled chemicals.

- 3 of the cast members also starred in the German film d\Downfall, chronicalling the last days of Adolf Hilter's life

Valkyrie_1.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Superman the movie

Great film, incredible uplifting iconic theme, opening titles are great coming through space. Christopher Reeve embodies superman & plays the dual roles perfectly using a different style for each personality. the production started life in 1976 & was very good but lots of controversy with the differences between Donner & the Salkinds, Marlon Brando's demands, no set limit of budget, push back of release & stopped production of superman 2 when it was 80% complete. then they completely re shot superman 2 just so the director they used could get the credit instead of Donner, they even rushed to make a different ending for superman 1, watch the first one & the 2006 Donner cut to totally understand the story as it was shot back to back originally meant to be told as two movie story

Message 2 of 135

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
A fantastic choice and nice little review Stuart slight_smile

What did you think of the Brandon Routh reboot and the upcoming 2013 version?

Get involved:

Message 3 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rrthanks, the Brandon Routh film was an excellent homaage to the first two films in the Donnerverse as it is called by fans, it was meant to be a loose semi sequel to the first one & the version of superman 2 by Donner. the story was a little to romantic for an action film, it needed more fight scenes. it was a good depiction of someone being away for a long time & coming back into a society that has moved on without him. The super kid angle i felt was ok as in the 2nd film they made love once he lost his powers but i didnt think it was right as part of a superman film. Routh was an excellent choice as Superman, perfectly copied Reeve as he was the same version as the 2 films i mentioned plus he made his own mark. the flying scenes were great, there are videos on youtube showing you how he perfected the technique in the film of flying movement. Kate Bosworth was a dreadful Lois Lane as she wasnt nearly as headstrong as other lois's before her & too willing to be the damsel in distress.

The new film i am sure will be great, from the photos i have seen & the comic con trailer if you can find it & the teaser trailer, Cavill looks to be spot on as a man trying to find his place.  it is a complete reboot, Amy Adams i hear is a strong lois lane with hints of Margot Kidders performance. It will be interesting to see who the un named third villian in cgi will be. the fx are practicaly minimal as Snyder & Nolan want it to look realistic & dont want to rely on heavy use of cgi.

Message 4 of 135

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I agree, the teaser was fantastic and Zack Snyder (director) has a lot of skill with remakes. Dawn of the dead from him was brilliant.

Talking of reboots, how do you feel about the new Star Wars trilogy? Reportedly continuing from Return of the Jedi, how do you think it will continue? We should watch it and make our theories grin

Get involved:

Message 5 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

The originals are amazing, even better with the special editions they brought out. the second trilogy was ok but not amazing. i only liked it because it told the story before anakin became darth vader, why he did & how the jedi were wiped out & what the emperor was like before he became fully known as pure evil.

Lucasfilm sold the rights to Disney. God knows what possesed them to do that as that was their biggest & most succesful franchise. There is due to be a seventh film released in 2015 then another seven films after that.

Reminds me of Marvels Films, they started with two Iron Man films, a Hulk movie, Captain America & Thor. This all lead up to the release of The Avengers with hints & leads in all of the above films. Now they are working on Iron Man 3 which is due to be released in May just before Junes release of Man Of Steel. Captain America 2 & Thor: The Dark World are due to be released in 2014, then Avengers 2 in 2015 then possibly a Hulk 2 after that.

Message 6 of 135

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Not only did Disney buy the SW brand, they bought out the tech behind the CGI. Lucasfilm studio has their hands in many pies and they must have a big patent portfolio by now!That and a merchandising thing that only Disney rivals.

Doesn't Disney own Pixar as well which would make them the dominant force in CGI as well as Marvel? Guess we'll see a lot of animated content for video-on-demand where if we're realistic, that's where all the content is going to be coming from in the future. This back catalogue is just the tip of the iceberg to provide the new content. 

Message 7 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes disney owns pixar & guess which deceased genius co founded pixar

Message 8 of 135

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Steve jobs?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 9 of 135

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, after apple booted him out the first time

Message 10 of 135